uloset

Jul 11, 2013
Central New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I started my season as normal this year about a week into it my old 1.5hp Super Pump started making noise and I noticed a leak coming from between the motor and pump housing. I figured the seal and let go and the bearings had gotten wet. The Super Pump came with the house and it is at least 10 years old, so I figured I'd order some bearings and a seal kit and keep it as a spare. I went and purchased a Pentair Superflow VS hooked it all up was working fine for a day or two I went to turn it on after I came home from work and now it too is leaking from between the motor and the housing.

I find it hard to believe that this is some how a coincidence any clues on what could have possible caused this?

That is an odd coincidence. :scratch: Let's start by seeing some pics of your overall pad and perhaps one or two of the pump(s) as they were connected and in place. I'm sure we'll have more questions later, but some pics might help for now.
I'll get some pictures tomorrow in the light.

It is very odd, as I took the old pump in every winter over last decade and was very familiar with connecting everything. The Superflows are a direct replacements for SuperPumps so all it took was some Teflon tape and just switching over the old threaded fittings as everything lined up perfectly.

Perhaps the filter pressure was too high,, but it was up about 25% from baseline and the returns still had good flow. I was actually going out to backwash and recharge the filter when I noticed the leak.

Here are the pictures of the pad. The old heater in the back has been disconnected since I've owned the place.

There are two skimmers one about 6-7 feet away from the pump in the deep end and the other about 35 feet.

There are also two returns one about 12 feet from the pump and the other about 30 feet right where the slope begins to transition from shallow to deep.

The returns and skimmers are all working normally I detect no noticeable change. The only minor change last year was I replaced the line going from the pump to the filter with some flex PVC. I checked it last night completely open no obstructions you can see right through it when it is removed. I took the pump apart mid-season last year and hosed the grids off manually it worked as before after reassembled.

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.

Attachments

• Pool Pad 1.JPG
    Pool Pad 1.JPG
    797.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Pool Pad 2.JPG
    Pool Pad 2.JPG
    838.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Pool Pad 3.JPG
    Pool Pad 3.JPG
    833.1 KB · Views: 10
Thanks for the pics. A simple, straight-forward set up. Nothing catches my eye as odd or would explain why 2 pumps would display the same symptom of leaking. Certainly the first pump was about due. Perhaps pump #2 was just a fluke - bad right off the line.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.