1st time SLAM-too much liquid chlorine???

Kimsports

May 26, 2022
Ankeny, IA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-15
I am following the slam procedures as posted on the TFP website. I also used the Pool Math to figure out how much chlorine to put in. However, I could not find the decimal point and so I was struggling with how much so I just used the back of the liquid shock bottle. I have a 6200 gallon pool so tonight I put in 80 ounces for 30 cya and 7.4 ph….. revisited Coolmath and saw the decimal and redid the math and I should’ve only done 39 ounces. Is this going to be OK?

Welcome to TFP.
I am a little confused with your data. A CYA of 30 requires a SLAM level of 12ppm FC.
6200 gals (however you also have 7380 gals shown on your profile) with 10% LC - 80 oz will only raise FC to 10ppm (from zero). 39oz (roughly half of what you put in only raises by 4.9ppm.
Did you have a starting FC level that you were only trying to raise up another 5ppm?

The FC will drift down - especially in daylight.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I am following the slam procedures as posted on the TFP website. I also used the Pool Math to figure out how much chlorine to put in. However, I could not find the decimal point and so I was struggling with how much so I just used the back of the liquid shock bottle. I have a 6200 gallon pool so tonight I put in 80 ounces for 30 cya and 7.4 ph….. revisited Coolmath and saw the decimal and redid the math and I should’ve only done 39 ounces. Is this going to be OK?
It’ll be fine.

Welcome to TFP.
I am a little confused with your data. A CYA of 30 requires a SLAM level of 12ppm FC.
6200 gals (however you also have 7380 gals shown on your profile) with 10% LC - 80 oz will only raise FC to 10ppm (from zero). 39oz (roughly half of what you put in only raises by 4.9ppm.
Did you have a starting FC level that you were only trying to raise up another 5ppm?

The FC will drift down - especially in daylight.
When I originally joined I didn't know my official gallons. I just edited my profile. Pool is 6200 gallons. Yes, you are right a CYA of 30 requires a SLAM level of 12 ppm FC. Here in lies the problem. I have been reading and watching videos and I think I have too much info in my head.....So if I need a SLAM level of 12 ppm - how much 12.5% Liq Chlor do I put in? This morning I tested and it is at a 3. I poured in 40 more ounces. I'm scared to pour more today due to the sun shining but I feel like I'm reading others add chlorine all day????

When I originally joined I didn't know my official gallons. I just edited my profile. Pool is 6200 gallons. Yes, you are right a CYA of 30 requires a SLAM level of 12 ppm FC. Here in lies the problem. I have been reading and watching videos and I think I have too much info in my head.....So if I need a SLAM level of 12 ppm - how much 12.5% Liq Chlor do I put in? This morning I tested and it is at a 3. I poured in 40 more ounces. I'm scared to pour more today due to the sun shining but I feel like I'm reading others add chlorine all day????
You need to test the chlorine level with a FAS-DPD test kit to perform a SLAM process. Do you have one? If so, what is the chlorine level now?

I did do that. Monday Am the FC was 0.3. So I followed the directions for slam and then last night I dumped 80 oz into deep end in front of the return line. This AM the FC was 3 so at 9 AM I dumped in 56oz of Liq Chlor. Now at 11 AM it's at a 5 so I am planning on dumping in 43 more ounces as suggested on poolchemicalcalculator.com.

This morning I tested and it is at a 3. I poured in 40 more ounces. I'm scared to pour more today due to the sun shining but I feel like I'm reading others add chlorine all day????
Per the SLAM process you should be testing your water every 3-4 hours during daylight and keep topping up your FC to the SLAM level of 12ppm. We all use an app call PoolMath. This does the calculations as well as tracks test data. For your info, using 6200 gals and 12.5% LC the following are the additions to raise FC. I did it in “cup” increments to make it easy to measure
1 cup or 8 oz raises FC by 1.3
1 pt or 16 oz raises FC by 2.5
1 qt or 32 oz raises FC by 5.0
1/2 gal or 64 oz raises FC by 10.0

so if you test and your FC is 3 but you need 12ppm, just add 1/2 gal of LC (10ppm)
Hope this helps.

Reactions: JodieM and Newdude
Per the SLAM process you should be testing your water every 3-4 hours during daylight and keep topping up your FC to the SLAM level of 12ppm. We all use an app call PoolMath. This does the calculations as well as tracks test data. For your info, using 6200 gals and 12.5% LC the following are the additions to raise FC. I did it in “cup” increments to make it easy to measure
1 cup or 8 oz raises FC by 1.3
1 pt or 16 oz raises FC by 2.5
1 qt or 32 oz raises FC by 5.0
1/2 gal or 64 oz raises FC by 10.0

so if you test and your FC is 3 but you need 12ppm, just add 1/2 gal of LC (10ppm)
Hope this helps.
thank you so much. For some reason - I wasn't understanding the poolmath calculations. I'm an art teacher and math is the other side of the brain - but thanks for being helpful and KIND!

Reactions: JodieM
It's noon and my FC is 10 but that's the highest my pool test strip goes. Should I use my Taylor Test Kit to see if it's up to 12 now?

I did do that. Monday Am the FC was 0.3. So I followed the directions for slam and then last night I dumped 80 oz into deep end in front of the return line. This AM the FC was 3 so at 9 AM I dumped in 56oz of Liq Chlor. Now at 11 AM it's at a 5 so I am planning on dumping in 43 more ounces as suggested on poolchemicalcalculator.com.
It's noon and my FC is 10 but that's the highest my pool test strip goes. Should I use my Taylor Test Kit to see if it's up to 12 now?
That’s why I was asking how you were testing. The Taylor test kit measures in 0.5 or 0.2 increments, so not sure where the 0.3 came from. A FAS-DPD kit is the Taylor test kit. The strips should go in the paper recycling bin, they aren’t worth anything.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Kimsports, your test strips can basically tell you there is or there is not chlorine in the water. Yes the test shade turns colors, but there really is no accurate measurement of chlorine with test strips. You need to use the drop test (powder and liquid) to get an accurate measure of free chlorine.

Reactions: Bperry
That’s why I was asking how you were testing. The Taylor test kit measures in 0.5 or 0.2 increments, so not sure where the 0.3 came from. A FAS-DPD kit is the Taylor test kit. The strips should go in the paper recycling bin, they aren’t worth anything.
Yes, taylor test kit is better but I was using strips every 2 hours. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.