1st time pool owner in OH

May 14, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Hi,
I bought my neighbor's home and now own the pool we have been swimming in for years. It gets a ton of use from our neighborhood friends and family. I have read the site and learned a lot already. So far my testing and chemicals are in the right ranges and I am comfortable with the equipment - filter, pump etc.

I think I am close in my estimate but would like to figure out exactly how much water my pool has since it is a non typical shape. I will post an updated picture soon (this one was a day after opening) but the pool is an egg shape with a 3ft shallow end and curved sides to the deep end which should be around 8-9 feet at the deepest part. The widest points are 40 x 25.

I will check the equipment threads but would love suggestions on the best robot cleaners and
Looking forward to learning and having a TFP!

Attachments

• IMG_1412.jpg
    IMG_1412.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 21
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your egg!

Your estimate of 30kgal is probably close enough, but perhaps just a little big if the 25' measurement is on the deepest end.

There are a couple strategies you could use to estimate more closely, but outside of refilling the whole thing, none work as well as chemistry. Once you get a good test kit (we recommend TF100) and are well-practiced at getting good results, you can use a chemical addition to estimate the size. The FAS/DPD chlorine test in that kit allows a 0.2ppm accuracy on free chlorine. You can then take a set of test results, use PoolMath calculations to determine what the result of 1 gallon of x% chlorine should be in 30kgal, add it, and retest a bit later. If the result matches the calculation, then you're at least close enough on your volume to make other adjustments down the road. Over time, keep a lot of your tests and chemical additions, and you will see a trend if the addition did more than it should have - maybe assume a smaller volume in that case.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.