1st time Closing Help Please

brutusjm

Oct 16, 2022
Ohio
All,
Everything looks sooo easy on YouTube. Need a little help before I give up and call in someone. I live in central Ohio, the pool does freeze and I have an autocover so I need to keep the water level high. .
First note, system is open - motor was removed for bearing replacement so I can't just hook up my compressor to the pump. I suppose I could reinstall the motor if you all tell me it the best but wondering if i can't just clear everything from existing pipe.
I have one skimmer, two main drains (about 8 ft deep), and two wall returns. I was able to blow the skimmer out fine by closing the drain on the three way valve and applying shop vac. When I lock that and try to push out the main drains I can't seem to make progress. I know my seal isn't perfect but hoping that the 5.5hp shop vac should do the trick. When I turn off the vac I get back flow a bit so I know I'm moving some water.

For the two returns I only have one pipe and the returns split in-ground at some point, I estimate one line at 45ft and the second one at 17 ft. I removed my salt cell (last thing on the pad before going to the returns) and tried to blow the line but nothing. Again, not the best seal. I am working to find a way to have a better seal - one thought is to 3D print reducer from shop vac to inside diameter of the line working on that tonight.

Is the 5.5hp just not enough to get the job done? I could get a cyclone if needed but figured I'd try what I had since it worked on YouTube. :)
Thanks in advance.

Welcome to TFP.

When a shopvac doesn’t do the job the Cyclone will.

All,
Everything looks sooo easy on YouTube. Need a little help before I give up and call in someone. I live in central Ohio, the pool does freeze and I have an autocover so I need to keep the water level high. .
First note, system is open - motor was removed for bearing replacement so I can't just hook up my compressor to the pump. I suppose I could reinstall the motor if you all tell me it the best but wondering if i can't just clear everything from existing pipe.
I have one skimmer, two main drains (about 8 ft deep), and two wall returns. I was able to blow the skimmer out fine by closing the drain on the three way valve and applying shop vac. When I lock that and try to push out the main drains I can't seem to make progress. I know my seal isn't perfect but hoping that the 5.5hp shop vac should do the trick. When I turn off the vac I get back flow a bit so I know I'm moving some water.

For the two returns I only have one pipe and the returns split in-ground at some point, I estimate one line at 45ft and the second one at 17 ft. I removed my salt cell (last thing on the pad before going to the returns) and tried to blow the line but nothing. Again, not the best seal. I am working to find a way to have a better seal - one thought is to 3D print reducer from shop vac to inside diameter of the line working on that tonight.

Is the 5.5hp just not enough to get the job done? I could get a cyclone if needed but figured I'd try what I had since it worked on YouTube. :)
Thanks in advance.
All,

Thanks in advance.
I use a 6.5 hp shop vacuum to blow my lines. To blow out the main drains I plug the 2 returns, and blow from the skimmer. I get a lot of bubbles coming up.

Diane, sorry for a basic question but how do you connect the shop vac to the skimmer? Seems like I’m missing something easy here.
Thanks, Jason
Don’t be sorry it is not a basic question! A friend found this for me. My vacuum hose fits over the top end, smaller end gets held down in the hole in the skimmer. It is some sort of an adapter not sure for what? The adapter is about 6-7 inches long.

Attachments

• A3638F61-EFBE-4A4F-ABEC-E9E5BD8EFA85.jpeg
    A3638F61-EFBE-4A4F-ABEC-E9E5BD8EFA85.jpeg
    215 KB · Views: 4
Welcome to TFP.

When a shopvac doesn’t do the job the Cyclone will.

Just found it online at Walmart-I guess it is a shop vac tool adapter!
Diane,
I have two holes in the skimmer...one closer to the deck (this currently has a gizmo in it) second is closer to the pool. Which should I use? I'll try to get pictures when I get home before dark.
Thanks.
Jason

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.