1st Test Results with TF-100

Nice looking, clear blue pool you have there! I'm new at this, actually our pool won't be completed until next week and I'm already stressing about properly maintaining it. I was going to ask you if you had just purchased the home, since it was so out of balance, but after reading all the replies I see that you were dealing with pool stores this whole time. Wow, thankfully I found this site prior to our startup and hopefully I'll be able to stay on top of it. Thanks for posting, I've learned a lot reading this thread.
My pool never looked better...Really glad i switched to bleach....Eventually i'd like to get a chlor. feeder.....i like traveling and the bleach is kind of labor intensive (babysitting the pool)...but i cant complain...Good luck with your pool!!

- - - Updated - - -

Ph seems to be stable at 7.5 for the past week or so.....pool school says to bring it down to 7.0 and aerate??? and keep repeating until it comes down into range 70-90+.......i have that 14.5 % acid can i add all 122oz. at once??
??????????

Ph seems to be stable at 7.5 for the past week or so.....pool school says to bring it down to 7.0 and aerate??? and keep repeating until it comes down into range 70-90+.......i have that 14.5 % acid can i add all 122oz. at once??

Leave the pH at 7.5 and don't worry about the 150 TA. Some folks' pools do just fine at high TAs. Just keep monitoring it but it seems to be fine.

Look into The Liquidator for auto chlorine feeding

Question...I've been reading the threads on Hasa Liquidators....Kind of interested in installing one...I notice they have a 4 and 8 gallon model....Being my pool is 11,400 gallons would the 4 gal. model be adequate for it and about how long would it last before i have to refill it....its my first week and i've been getting by with 3.5- 4 ppm FC loss per day........Also i'd like any pros, cons, concerns and comments about them.....Thx....

I'm nearing 6 weeks since fill-up with my new pebble sheen finish. 3 days after that, I installed The Liquidator. I'm loving it. I'll admit that it is a bit of a pain to fill up (you have to fill it relatively slowly) but I only have to do it once every week or so but it depends how much you put in and % of hydrochloric acid your liquid chlorine contains and how much FC you lose per day. I have the 8 gallon one but my pool is more than twice your volume.

To figure out the best price for chlorine, do the following: Take your price and divide it by the volume in ounces and then divide it again by the percentage of chlorine represented as a decimal.
Example: I found a deal from a place where you buy 6 gallons of 12.5% liquid chlorine and they'll give you 2 gallons for free. The cost of 6 gallons is $28.34. 28.34/.125/1024 = 22 cents/%-oz. Carry around a calculator (most phones have one or you can download one easily enough) and start figuring out costs of bleach/liquid chlorine and find the best deal. 20 cents and under is a "buy all you can" deal. 20-22 is an excellent deal and it gets progressively worse from there. However, keep in mind that chlorine doesn't store very well over long periods of time. If you have storage that is relatively cool or whose temp doesn't change much (closet in the middle of your house might work...basement is great), it'll keep longer. I wouldn't buy 50 gallons but 10-20 isn't unheard of.

4ppm of chlorine is 102 oz of 12.5% liquid chlorine in 25,000 gallons. 1024 oz ÷ 102 oz/day = 10 days. The 1024 oz is 8 gallons. I don't actually think I'm losing 4 ppm of chlorine per day (I should measure it one of these days) so I think I could go much longer between fill-ups.

Loving the way my pool looks with bleach...Hating the jug dumping...Thinking of going the Stenner route....I see theres no difference in output (.89oz/hr) between the 25psi 3gpd or the 100psi 10gpd...Am i better off with one or the other? Only been tracking my FC loss for about 6 days...between 3-5ppm/day. Plan running it off a separate timer as well...Any suggestions and or tips....Greatly appreciated!!!! since i have no room to put a union in my return line can i inject through my pump drain???

Only been tracking my FC loss for about 6 days...between 3-5ppm/day.

That's on the high side of chlorine loss, especially given your high CYA level which usually would protect chlorine more from sunlight. It's interesting you passed the OCLT yet have such high daily loss. Are you targeting 14 ppm FC and ending up at 9-11 ppm FC the next day? If you are still at a higher FC level then that might explain the extra loss. Also, how's your pH level? If that's high then that can also lose more chlorine during the day to sunlight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's on the high side of chlorine loss, especially given your high CYA level which usually would protect chlorine more from sunlight. It's interesting you passed the OCLT yet have such high daily loss. Are you targeting 14 ppm FC and ending up at 9-11 ppm FC the next day? If you are still at a higher FC level then that might explain the extra loss. Also, how's your pH level? If that's high then that can also lose more chlorine during the day to sunlight.
In answer to your question...Yes.. i tested the CYA numerous times after draining about 16" and refilling...dilute and 100% tests...came up with 30-40 on dilute and 80 on 100% test. I've been testing and dosing nightly....
Sun tested 6 brought up to 10
Mon tested 7 brought up to 11
Tue tested 6 brought up to 10
Wed tested 6 brought up to 12
Thu tested 7 brought up to 14
Fri morning tested 11
Tested ph was a little high added 14.5 MA as per poolmath.....Pool is clear.....
I'm using Walmart 8.25% with a code of 15 215....I haven't been testing after i dose..Just add poolmath amount..Maybe i should to verify if bleach is good??
Thx for your reply Chemgeek...BTW..whenever i do test my CC is 0...? Your Thoughts?

OK, I had missed that you had diluted the water to get the CYA lower. Well it's still higher than I'd expect at 80 ppm CYA but with the hot Arizona sun and hotter water temperatures the losses will be on the high side, but I would have thought perhaps 3-4 but you're seeing 4-5.

Yes, the bleach might be lower than you expect and that could happen if it was not stored in a room temperature environment. This link shows your average temperature this time of year with a daytime high of 104ºF and a nighttime low of 82ºF. As shown in this post, 8.25% bleach at the weighted average temperature of 97ºF would lose strength to around 7.5% after 1 week, less than 7% after 2 weeks, and around 6% after 1 month. That could turn a 3 ppm FC loss into a 4+ ppm FC loss so maybe that explains it. If the pH was higher, that wouldn't have helped either since hypochlorite ion breaks down from sunlight much faster than hypochlorous acid (though most loss is from chlorine bound to CYA even though it's slower per bound FC, but there is so much more FC that is bound than unbound).

OK, I had missed that you had diluted the water to get the CYA lower. Well it's still higher than I'd expect at 80 ppm CYA but with the hot Arizona sun and hotter water temperatures the losses will be on the high side, but I would have thought perhaps 3-4 but you're seeing 4-5.

Yes, the bleach might be lower than you expect and that could happen if it was not stored in a room temperature environment. This link shows your average temperature this time of year with a daytime high of 104ºF and a nighttime low of 82ºF. As shown in this post, 8.25% bleach at the weighted average temperature of 97ºF would lose strength to around 7.5% after 1 week, less than 7% after 2 weeks, and around 6% after 1 month. That could turn a 3 ppm FC loss into a 4+ ppm FC loss so maybe that explains it. If the pH was higher, that wouldn't have helped either since hypochlorite ion breaks down from sunlight much faster than hypochlorous acid (though most loss is from chlorine bound to CYA even though it's slower per bound FC, but there is so much more FC that is bound than unbound).

Well i guess i can figure 6% in poolmath and see how i come out.. The code is 15 215 so bottled in aug. And im storing it in the house.. Maybe i'll try hasa 12%. The TA is 100-120 but was told it will come down as i adj. the PH down..... Thx Poolgeek!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.