1st Pool Opening On Our Own

joe603

May 21, 2018
Fayetteville/GA
Hey guys! I have a 20k pebble-tec pool that has been running all winter in GA. To deal with the low temp and no SWG, I used chlorine tablets in a floating dispenser that I attached to our pool rope (which I don't use during swim season). Anyway, the chlorine levels have started to drop as the sun is killing it more and more. I check it once a week, along with PH/ALK/Hardness.

Because I have trees that block the sun for most of the winter, the Chlorine levels have stayed around 2.0. Now that it's starting to get more and more sun, those levels have dropped to 1.0. Anyway, I've never had to shock the pool...never had algae or cloudy water. But this is the first opening after a winter for me...so I'm not sure what's normal. Should I add more chlorine tabs in the floating dispenser (currently has 2).

What do you guys do while you wait for the temp to rise enough for the SWG to do it's job?

Ya...CYA. I've haven't had luck with that Crud. Tried to add it last year and it went from slightly cloudy, to just a bit more cloudy. The measurement seems objective and leslies is hit or miss.

I guess I'm just trying to see when I should start pool perfect, do the filter clean (I have a cartridge), clean the SWG with acid and shock. The water looks great, aside from the film of pollen on top.

Joe,

We don't recommend the use of chlorine tablets or the other standard Leslies treatments. TFP methodology is much simpler and works very well... I've been doing it 3+ years with superb results. I would recommend you read Pool School documents and switch. You will need to learn to do the CYA test but it's not that hard with a little practice. Experts here can help you with it. Also it is required to know this so you are properly disinfecting no matter what pool regime you use. Just because you haven't seen algae yet does not mean you are properly disinfecting.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

I don't buy anything at leslie's...They are overpriced compared to online/local big box stores. I just use them to check my results on tests...and a salt reading.

I only use chl tabs in the floater during the winter when my SWG is offline. I have it attached to my normally unused pool rope for low/deep end.

The CYA levels are around 30...I may try to bump to 40.

I guess I was just looking for tips/tricks for those who have opened pools for a few years. I never really "closed" mine as I live in the south. Freeze protect for a few cold nights and kept up with the chems...just checked it much less.

Joe

Great to hear, I just couldn't tell what your plan was from post. My immediate move would be to get your FC up to recommended levels and stay above the minimum. I don't have the "closed pool weather to deal with so I'll see if I can call back @Texas Splash to advise you further.

Good luck!

Chris

No special tips or tricks involved. Just get your chemical levels from winter to summer values.

The FC and CYA relationship is key to sanitary pool water. You can’t say if your FC is good unless you know your CYA level. I suggest you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and study the FC/CYA Chart

Reactions: setsailsoon

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.