1st Pool Build | Sugar Land - Skimmer Repairs Done - Hardscape Finished

@HermanTX @TampaKathy @duckcmmndr

So my project manager and one of the supervisors and more seasoned Project managers came out with the transit level today.

They checked the skimmer levels and there is a about 1.25” difference as of now from the outside. It originally shows close to 2” but then they had to readjust cause they didn’t start from same spot because it had mud and Gunite in the spot.

It rained a ton so they weren’t able to get in the pool so they are going to come back with the Gunite company next week since it’s raining this whole week.

They will pump out the water and set the transit and check the bottoms of the skimmers in there to get an exact level and see their options.

They said either the skimmer was leaned down and not level when they shot which makes it off or it’s completely not level. Either way as of now doing the level from the ground using a tape measure it was off.

I asked what would happen if it that shows that it’s not level again. The older guy said the Gunite company would have to crack out the skimmer and adjust it properly and fix it up.

I asked if that would mess with the integrity of the shell and he said no. Saying that the beauty of Gunite is there are no cold bonds. And they can build on top of it just fine.

Is that correct? Do I have anything to worry about if they have to do that fix?

The main project manager didn’t like hearing it was off after he kept pressing and say he knows for a fact they are level and probably thought I was crazy.
I'm glad they discovered and more importantly recognized that there is an issue. Hopefully they will fix it quickly.

@HermanTX @TampaKathy @duckcmmndr

So my project manager and one of the supervisors and more seasoned Project managers came out with the transit level today.

They checked the skimmer levels and there is a about 1.25” difference as of now from the outside. It originally shows close to 2” but then they had to readjust cause they didn’t start from same spot because it had mud and Gunite in the spot.

It rained a ton so they weren’t able to get in the pool so they are going to come back with the Gunite company next week since it’s raining this whole week.

They will pump out the water and set the transit and check the bottoms of the skimmers in there to get an exact level and see their options.

They said either the skimmer was leaned down and not level when they shot which makes it off or it’s completely not level. Either way as of now doing the level from the ground using a tape measure it was off.

I asked what would happen if it that shows that it’s not level again. The older guy said the Gunite company would have to crack out the skimmer and adjust it properly and fix it up.

I asked if that would mess with the integrity of the shell and he said no. Saying that the beauty of Gunite is there are no cold bonds. AndI they can build on top of it just fine.

Is that correct? Do I have anything to worry about if they have to do that fix?

The main project manager didn’t like hearing it was off after he kept pressing and say he knows for a fact they are level and probably thought I was crazy.
I went back to your earlier posts (#113 thru 119) where they did the gunite. Nothing jumps out other then they did completely cover that skimmer by the spa then dug out the opening. It is hard to say if this affected anything but it appears they did it because of the sheer wall above it. Just maybe a talking point with the PB when you do the level check again.

I'm glad they discovered and more importantly recognized that there is an issue. Hopefully they will fix it quickly.

I went back to your earlier posts (#113 thru 119) where they did the gunite. Nothing jumps out other then they did completely cover that skimmer by the spa then dug out the opening. It is hard to say if this affected anything but it appears they did it because of the sheer wall above it. Just maybe a talking point with the PB when you do the level check again.

Yeah I am overall glad they didn't just stay quiet and say "yup looks level to me" I know that every company no matter what it is will have some hiccups and mistakes. As long as the acknowledge and fix it then i'm good. I talked to about 11 companies before picking this one and how they handled things from the start was a big part of it as well as reputation and quality I had seen. So far they have been pretty good about everything but I stay on top of it regardless if they think i'm a pain in the Rear.

Yeah I didn't see anything jump out either, so it could be a simple miscalculation, someone maybe stepping on skimmer pushing it down, or when they put it in with rebar, who knows what caused it to be off level at this point but hoping they figure it out when all this rain stops and I can feel a bit better that I won't have a skimmer functionality issue.

Reactions: TampaKathy
So an update on the skimmer situation, the gunite guys came with a much better transit level and measured from the top of the skimmer as well as the bottom of the skimmer. They actually used 2 different transits to leave no doubt. The difference was .75", which according to both the gunite and pool guys is within the tolerance allowed.

I actually assisted with the leveling and was able to look in the transit to know for sure they were doing it right. Unless they bullshitted with where the points were at this point I guess I have to live with that tolerance.

@HermanTX @duckcmmndr

Last edited:
So an update on the skimmer situation, the gunite guys came with a much better transit level and measured from the top of the skimmer as well as the bottom of the skimmer. They actually used 2 different transits to leave no doubt. The difference was .75", which according to both the gunite and pool guys is within the tolerance allowed.

I actually assisted with the leveling and was able to look in the transit to know for sure they were doing it right. Unless they bullshitted with where the points were at this point I guess I have to live with that tolerance.

@HermanTX @duckcmmndr
Well that is good news. If there is a .75inch difference it may not impact the skimmer performance. Cannot remember, do you have each skimmer as independent pipe runs to the equipment pad? If so, then if they have a valve on them you will be able to adjust the suction to maybe compensate for where the level is on each skimmer weir door. Thanks for the update.

Well that is good news. If there is a .75inch difference it may not impact the skimmer performance. Cannot remember, do you have each skimmer as independent pipe runs to the equipment pad? If so, then if they have a valve on them you will be able to adjust the suction to maybe compensate for where the level is on each skimmer weir door. Thanks for the update.

So this is one thing I didn’t notice or read enough up on when they did that part. From the pictures I have it looks like they are plumbed together.

The yellow arrow shows what is the one skimmer that is connected to the main drain. Then junctions with the other skimmer from the sun shelf.

Blue one is the return that’s near that.

B671EF37-1EC9-4C41-89F7-BCCAACA23F03.jpeg

So it looks like I won’t have the ability to control it like you said.

I’m hopeful based on the reputation of this company that I should have an issue. But can’t rely on that. Seems like they have a specific standard how they do it and this might be that.

Reactions: HermanTX
Finally after almost a week or so there was a break in the weather and we got some work going.

They are almost done with the tile and coping. I have been inspecting and there are parts I definitely want redone. Been looking at everything closely when they are gone so I can show the project manager.

Mainly some piece that have uneven cuts that don’t lineup or thicker grout lines. Also the coping on raised bars they did flush to tile on one side of the raised beams while all the others have an even overhang on both sides so it looks off since the spa part has it and the raised beams below it don’t.

I’m sure easy fixes.

The forms are all done and they need to get the rebar finished. There are wanting to do the deck & stepping pad pour Friday.

Here are a few pictures.

AE26E589-957D-4DF2-AE67-3F86E2795CD2.jpeg

45983E94-81FD-4E10-B5DB-2DA3523777F2.jpeg

91DE0BAD-47C9-429A-9195-A7D37D6C33E8.jpeg

0A0CDD24-E76B-456E-A16E-EB2461CCD56F.jpeg

F90FE0D3-EF89-4BD7-8F1C-445D20511E9F.jpeg

1A9A1C8A-BC95-4E4D-893A-9F9B9AC7BE12.jpeg

349BC548-9E99-47B0-8E41-6E4DF7E7BD86.jpeg

So latest update. As my Houston neighbors are aware we have had crappy rain for a while so my deck and stepping pad pour got delayed about a week.

They had the forms down but couldn’t pour. We finally had a full day of sunshine yesterday so they did the pour.

A few things irked me and I talked to the concrete guy who is super cool but still gonna talk to the PB to see about things and wanted everyone’s opinion as well on if I’m being picky or have a right and if a real solution is possible. I want to bring these up mainly because pool builder of course doesn’t warranty cracking settling etc. I know it’s inevitable but you want to at least start with a good foundation and work.

Access to everything is super tough so they had to wheel over each form to get to one side and work their way to the other side. After about 2 of the stepping pads I noticed one was super out of level with the others. Then the ones in front of my patio looked below the coping and my existing deck.

I brought it up to him and he agreed and pulled the forms near the coping up to level out and fixed the others. Essentially all the weight they keep putting on it pushed the forms down since ground still probably had moisture.

The next thing that caught my eye is that on the last few forms the rebar essentially got knocked over and was laying on the ground. He said it won’t be an issue. Which I find hard to believe. The rebar on the larger deck parts were fine and still on the chairs. The pads and deck are essentially 4” slabs which when I read online it says rebar isn’t that important or necessary on a 4” slab. But again I want to not have issues in future. Or at least prolong the damage.

After things started to cure I took out a level and double check and the deck and my existing patio are level. On about 3 of the stepping pads The edge closer to coping is level but the edge closest to existing deck is lower by about 1.25” which he said is graded to a channel drain that will be put all along the edge of the house under the chipped rocks going in there. Everything I see is that the grade should be 1/4” for every foot which would put the slope at .75” so this is a lot steeper slope since it’s an extra .5 and noticeable.

Lastly one of the expansion joints wood pieces is really crooked and while most people wouldn’t think twice I know it’s there.

We are going to be spray decking and painting it to match my existing deck so that should do a bit more to cover. But I dunno if it will still bug me.

Am I being a bit too picky or am I off in my thinking about all these points that I want to bring up to the project manager? I feel there isn’t much remedy now since it’s curing other than busting it out and starting over if the rebar needs to be redone. I’m sure the slop can be adjusted by adding more concrete on top I guess.

Overall it’s looking nice and most won’t be noticed when it’s complete.

Appreciate the feedback. Oh and I finally became a supporter of this fine forum because you guys have beyond helped me get to this point so far.

9C13FD18-0CE7-4716-A4DE-DC390F3C195B.jpeg

8EF9B1FA-9156-4205-BD10-D0E5DBF21D8E.jpeg

9812CBEC-6C1A-4F51-97D4-276E38912E69.jpeg

3E612319-4E57-4CDE-8666-329C52BDC654.jpeg

78C49744-889C-479F-A633-508009E6C9A0.jpeg

6890EE4F-7D9F-4FBC-8B47-717353E20704.jpeg

E0578F1C-BDE8-4946-867A-AD3F24B286B2.jpeg

Attachments

• 69AE2918-9839-4D35-A744-41C9AE0FB62B.jpeg
    69AE2918-9839-4D35-A744-41C9AE0FB62B.jpeg
    642.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 360C6877-4A23-443C-A391-803735918275.jpeg
    360C6877-4A23-443C-A391-803735918275.jpeg
    581.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Just a quick bump to get some feedback before I speak with the PB project manager about how much the steps were sloped in terms of grading.

One other thing I noticed and not sure if it's going to be a real problem or is it supposed to be this way. But it looks like the back deck behind the retaining wall is kind of graded towards the pool/retaining wall. There is a drain back behind that area, but my thinking would be that the deck should be graded away from the spa/retaining wall and towards the grass in the back. It's in the area that I circled in the picture.

8EF9B1FA-9156-4205-BD10-D0E5DBF21D8E.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looking very nice - wondering what you coping selection is? We selected a "Bianco Grigio" Travertine that looks very similar and thus wondering if its the same.

Thank you very much. This one was called “Snow White” some pieces have a lot more grey than others which we loved towards the back wall to keep the front a lot more white/marble look that matches a lot of what we have in the house as well.

Reactions: JBear
So just an update on the concrete decking for anyone following.

I got the notification of my deck draw invoicing being due and I reached out to the designer and told him my concerns with the deck and I would like all these addressed before I am going to make that payment. He said to send an email with all the pictures so that they can discuss it.

Around the same time the project manager messaged me and said they are going to break up all the stepping pads in front of my deck and repour them. These were the ones I was concerned about most becuase they were about 1.25-1.5" below the existing deck on that side and was worried more from a safety standpoint that you catch the lip and trip.

They will also saw cut the other stepping pads that bowed out a bit since the walls were not reinforced in the middle to keep the form straight. To me it seemed like attention to detail with this sub contractor wasn't there. Even the tile guy that came to discuss some tile work was upset since there was concrete splattered everywhere and not fully cleaned up. I even have overspill on my existing deck.

I think these guys are a new sub with the PB and it doesn't sound like they were too happy when he looked at it before I even mentioned stuff.

All in all I sent all the stuff here as well as some other stuff I noticed like the deck not being poured all the way down and hollow areas which I feel could really a problem. I am pleased with how the PB stands behind their work and if they see something wrong or I bring it up they reach out to the sub and take care of it quickly. I haven't had to per say fight for things to be done right. It sucks to get pushed back because of this but rather have it right the first time.

Here are some pictures of those hollow spots that i worry about. One of them the form board or support is essentially all the way in there which makes it a gaping empty spot. Definitely don't want anyone catching their foot etc on that.

Resized14.jpgResized13.jpg

glad the PB is addressing the issue! Those gaps are big. Just keep watch on the subs and if anything seems odd, text your PM right away. The subs are working fast these days because of the amount of work and rain delays so their attention to detail is lacking.

Absolutely! I work from home so they probably hate that I’m here to watch over everything and ask questions the whole time.

Between me researching anything I feel that is off and the wealth of knowledge here and the help of everyone, I’m able to call them out on anything with exact answers back.

This PB definitely cares about their reputation to step up and discuss issues. Hopefully it continues.

Last edited:
This new crew that they brought in to fix the other concrete work is like night and day difference. These guys created forms that were far superior than the first crew, they fixed all the issues that the other guys had. I was talking to him and he said the subcontractor was pretty ****** that I forced them to break them all up and redo things but he said I had every right because it wasn't done well the first time.

End of the day I'm paying money for it and the pool project manager agreed with the issues. I told the actual guys doing the work that if he had done it correctly the first time then he wouldn't be losing out on any profits or whatever having to redo the job.

The crew the sub got to do this fix took their time with the setup, also got everything nice and prepped. The other crew did none of this.

All in all they are replacing 3 of the stepping pads that were not level with the existing deck, sawed off to square off edges on some other pads that had bowed becuase they didn't reinforce the forms, and one of the larger decks on the back since it was completely out of whack in terms of slope to drain.

Again, happy with the PB and how the do stand behind their quality and get things done even if I am annoying about each detail.

IMG_0693.JPGIMG_0696.JPG

This new crew that they brought in to fix the other concrete work is like night and day difference. These guys created forms that were far superior than the first crew, they fixed all the issues that the other guys had. I was talking to him and he said the subcontractor was pretty ****** that I forced them to break them all up and redo things but he said I had every right because it wasn't done well the first time.

End of the day I'm paying money for it and the pool project manager agreed with the issues. I told the actual guys doing the work that if he had done it correctly the first time then he wouldn't be losing out on any profits or whatever having to redo the job.

The crew the sub got to do this fix took their time with the setup, also got everything nice and prepped. The other crew did none of this.

All in all they are replacing 3 of the stepping pads that were not level with the existing deck, sawed off to square off edges on some other pads that had bowed becuase they didn't reinforce the forms, and one of the larger decks on the back since it was completely out of whack in terms of slope to drain.

Again, happy with the PB and how the do stand behind their quality and get things done even if I am annoying about each detail.

View attachment 343346View attachment 343347
looks good! Glad they are fixing issues. =)

Reactions: stack24
Not much going on other than minor fixes here and there. They finished spray deck and painting it as well as my existing patio again so that everything started the same shade even though it's the same color. The deck was painted a year ago and would have been a bit off. Glad they painted the foundation as well since the builder didn't do that. We hated that so was nice to have that done.

Got a lot on the schedule starting next week like equipment, channel drain, the blackstar chip rocks between the pads, irrigation and sod to name a few. The rest seems to be minor things like fence close system etc so won't bore you with that.

IMG_0775.JPG

Question.

While talking to my PB Project Manager he mentioned that they do the plaster one day, then the next day come out to do an acid wash then fill. Most of the threads I have read seem to suggest that they fill right after plaster or they don't do an acid wash or I didn't find anything.

Is this just an added step they are doing?

P.S. Thanks to @JMSMommy for allowing me to check out her pool we officially picked Blue Surf with Shimmering Sea added in. It was really nice in person and the wife loved it so it made my life easier.

Reactions: JMSMommy
Question.

While talking to my PB Project Manager he mentioned that they do the plaster one day, then the next day come out to do an acid wash then fill. Most of the threads I have read seem to suggest that they fill right after plaster or they don't do an acid wash or I didn't find anything.

Is this just an added step they are doing?

P.S. Thanks to @JMSMommy for allowing me to check out her pool we officially picked Blue Surf with Shimmering Sea added in. It was really nice in person and the wife loved it so it made my life easier.
Are you getting a pebble finish? I have stonescapes mini pebble with glass and abalone, and they acid washed and filled the day after plaster.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.