Pool Build - California Dreaming - 3 Years Closer

Re: Pool Build - California Dreaming

So today I priced out plumbing, Rebar and Gunite. I was able to get all of the contractors to let me purchase the materials and they would charge me hourly or daily rates. In my opinion it is more affordable considering all of the custom engineering and water and fire features on the pool. On Thursday we install the pre-Rebar plumbing such as drains, skimmers and niches. The rebar will be done afterwards. I will try to post some pictures.

Of all the steps in the building process, the plumbing is what confuses me most. By the way with the Baker Grahame Act is there any special things I need to look out for when going over things with the sub who will do the pool. Is there any special equipment that needs to be installed? Any help to understand that would be appreciated.

Thank you pool girl, it will be quite a challenge - then again I never do anything easy. I was wanting to put a fridge but was told that the risk of electrocution is not worth it. I will instead put an icemaker in the pool house (second phase of the project) and an ice bucket in the bar area. The bar area will be a bit different than what is drawn because I had limitations as to what the software could do.

spillmar said:
I begun the dig. I agree with Jason to a degree one cannot go into this without proper preparation and consultation. In California one is surrounded by talented pool builders struggling unfortunately. For my project I hired my own supervisor who will make sure each stage is done correctly. Each subcontractor (excavation, steel, plumb, electric, concrete, etc) will get paid upon inspection approval with some good faith deposits made where necessary. Cobra is not totally correct, I think that the savings for me is around 40-50%. as I go into my own journey you will see the great lengths I went to build the best pool I could for the money budgeted. For $40k I have a 40k gallon pool with water features and swim up bar. Once I can I will post pictures. I tried filming the dig but got caught up in the excitement and was too busy yesterday in directing the grading work and supervising the supervisor :).

As I progress I hope my adventure is interesting to those on this forum and hopefully I can glean alot off of the experts experience.

All the best.

I think the reason you are saving more than 10-20% is that you have secured some exceptional deals on your material that is not normally available.

The design looks great and I can't wait to see it take shape. :goodjob:

Thanks Cobra. You are correct. Today I took delivery of 2.2 tons of steel for about $770 per ton. I went to the place all pool contractors from San Diego to Santa Barbara go to in order to save. This is about $200 cheaper per ton than the home improvement stores. Labor was only $1400 for four guys over 3 days. This is pretty good considering the details in the pool including the swim up bar and reinforced columns which will hold the future cantilevered roof over half the shallow side of the pool.

I was told that the head of the rebar crew is the "Yoda of Steel" around these parts having worked 30 years in the business and trained most rod benders in the area, so I am sure he will do a fine job.

Here are some pictures of day 1 of the rebar for those wanting to see the progress. To me it is pretty exciting to see the grids go down; reminds me of the wire frame process in computer animation.

In about two weeks we should be ready for shotcrete and then things slow down as I accumulate more funds to finish the details.

Attachments

• IMG_3421.JPG
    IMG_3421.JPG
    267.9 KB · Views: 769
  • IMG_3416.JPG
    IMG_3416.JPG
    270.6 KB · Views: 766
  • IMG_3419.JPG
    IMG_3419.JPG
    272.5 KB · Views: 770

Our first real hiccup came about during rebar. Now that we have entered the second day of setting the reinforcement steel and everything was laid out, it was clear that the excavation was done a bit too rough. While we did bring in experienced excavators, the excavation supervisor did not do a very good job of making sure the pool was properly trimmed for rebar and concrete. Too much focus was made on moving volume (220 CY) and not detailing.

After the dig, I noticed many issues which I am told is quite common with backhoe (larger equipment) digging where alot more trimming is needed to compensate. Areas requiring benches and steps were not focused on enough and ultimately this made the rebar more expensive than budgeted because the rebar crew had to spend a half of day cleaning things up. Ultimately it was resolved but at a high cost. Overall the dig budget at $3k, was closer to $4k. Still not horrible and below the $5400 bids from GC/PBs.

During the second day of rebar and knowing that the rebar crew was a little perturbed that they had to correct another subs mistakes, I applied some resources on making it up to them with food, beverages and helping out where I could. Looking at them climb ladders over protruding spikes of steel made me realize how dangerous this is. I went ahead and bought some rebar covers if for any reason things got delayed to cover the barbs because the kids love exploring the pool area. BTW it truly is worrisome when you see your children walking around a job site. If I were to do it again I would add a fence around the work site for peace of mind. Not as funny as watching SweePea climbing on girders in the old Popeye cartoons.

As you can see in the following images, the "ring" around the perimeter of the pool which is about 200 feet has been largely completed, as have the benches and sun shelf and waterfall wall in front of the spa. Some additional spa details and the swim up bar and reinforced columns to support the weight of the future cantilevered roof affixed to the pool house is what is left. The rebar crew are extremely proficient at their job and more importantly very detail orientated. As mentioned above they really helped point our some deficiencies with the dig which have been addressed with placement of the steel and then later the shotcrete itself. Overall very lucky to have gotten this crew.

Later that day I went with my pool consultant Bob to a large pool builder store and purchased at cost the skimmers, light niches, check valves and other specialty items not found at your local pool or home improvement store. We are placing two skimmers, one near the inside curve of the deep end and one down wind near exit steps by bar area.

Based on the recommendation of the consultant I have only two pool lights (Intellibrite LED) and two spa lights (Intellibrite or Jazz FX). I was hoping someone with experience here could validate the recommendation. My pool is about 45 feet from deep end to start of swim up bar. Swim up bar will be lit by fiber perimeter lighting around coping. I am not sure if two LED lights will light up the whole of the pool. Any help here would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3431.jpg
    IMG_3431.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 746
  • IMG_3426.jpg
    IMG_3426.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 737
  • IMG_3425.jpg
    IMG_3425.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 740

Based on the recommendation of the consultant I have only two pool lights (Intellibrite LED) and two spa lights (Intellibrite or Jazz FX). I was hoping someone with experience here could validate the recommendation. My pool is about 45 feet from deep end to start of swim up bar. Swim up bar will be lit by fiber perimeter lighting around coping. I am not sure if two LED lights will light up the whole of the pool. Any help here would be appreciated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

spillmar I am not experienced however just to be on the safe side why not add an additional intellibrite. You can never have too much lights in my opinion and we love our intellibrite.......

Thanks Brentr. I am having hard time placing lights because of the shape of the pool. I can't sem to find a spot on the middle due to the spa and sun shelf. I think I will go with two pools and sone fiber around spa and two fiber lit bubblers on shelf. For the size of the pool I hope two Intellibrites suffice.

I think you really should consider more lights. You pool will be quite a bit larger than mine and I have three lights and don't feel it's too much. Here is a thread showing my lights. It was difficult to turn them off individually so I had some kids cover them up to show what fewer lights look like.

post100634.html?hilit=light#p100634

For reference, my pool is about 38-39 feet long.

Cobra thanks so much for the advice. The Rebar is done with only two lights. I now need to figure out to where put light number three. With the spa and sunshelf in the middle it's hard to figure out. I know the unwritten rule is never have light facing the house but there is no other way I can see but put the light in the spa bench in the middle of pool.

spillmar said:
Cobra thanks so much for the advice. The Rebar is done with only two lights. I now need to figure out to where put light number three. With the spa and sunshelf in the middle it's hard to figure out. I know the unwritten rule is never have light facing the house but there is no other way I can see but put the light in the spa bench in the middle of pool.
Put it there. You can always disconnect it by running an individual switch to that light :cheers:

I've heard that rule too and built my pool accordingly, however, the only time I use the pool lights is when I'm outside so it doesn't matter if they pointed towards the house. It actually would have been better if the lights didn't point towards the primary outside seating area.

Thanks for the advice on the light.

I wanted to post a couple more pics on the third day of rebar showing the framing of the bar and completion of the shallow end benches and the spa. Please let me know what you think. I had miscalculated the amount of steel and had to order another 600 feet of #3 and another 20 of #4. I think the engineer went a little nuts; anyway the pool should survive a nuke.

Tomorrow and Monday the pool plumb will be completed and now shotcrete is end of week. I lost about a week travelling for business and problems with one of the subs. The first real hiccup came when the sub I selected for the plumbing cancelled for the fourth time; after that I replaced him.

Attachments

• IMG_3441.JPG
    IMG_3441.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 622
  • IMG_3446.JPG
    IMG_3446.JPG
    206.8 KB · Views: 622
  • IMG_3438.JPG
    IMG_3438.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 614

Spillmar, really impressive build! On the Intellibrites, one thing I've noticed about them is that with their specialized lens, they are not as blindingly bright when facing them as some of the plain old lights I've seen. The lens does a good job at dispersing light side-to-side.

As for the number, I have a 21000 gallon freeform. Two Intellibrites do well for me, but if my surface area was 30% larger or more, I would definitely need a third. And I would have to place it pointing toward the house, too! I agree with other posters that you at least want to get a niche installed so you *can* have a light there. Ultimately, if you choose not to install the actual light, no big deal...but at least you have the option without major surgery.

Thanks for the compliment Bob. Let's hope I do not stray too much more from budget; but so far it is going relatively well for someone building his first pool. The one thing I recommend now in hindsight when doing an owner build is listen carefully to the subs and then once you have found the most experienced and trustworthy let them recommend other subs for the other areas/phases, especially the shotcrete guys. Pacific Star, the shotcrete sub and Max my Rebar guy both of which are known in our area, have been honest and helpful; more importantly they have recommended some good subs and saved me from some possible nightmares.

After all it is they that will have to correct the work of others or have to wait around until things are corrected so they have an incentive as well to make sure things are done right. They ultimately know who is better and reliable. Still, however, you go after all of your bids and keep prices competitive.

I am going forward with adding the light in the lower bench under the sheer descent. I also will be adding a small six inch deep bench inside spa for entry. The only other change I see will be some more Rebar at bar to delineate the coping that juts out slightly more here than around perimeter of pool. This will be in effect an extended bar top for people to put drinks and plates on. True waterside dining.

Well another hickup. Plumber showed up 2 days then had another job and cancelled final day today. We are now expected to finish up plumbing/gas and all electrical/fiber lighting conduit Friday. I unfortunately had to reschedule shotcrete for next Friday. Inspection of plumbing and gas is now set for Tuesday. Let me know if you would like to see pictures of the plumbing. I knew there would be lots of steel; but I did not expect the massive amount of PVC pipe. Understandable however since the pool has 2 skimmers, 8 returns, 12 jets, 4 lights, 3 waterfalls, 6 suction, 1 vacuum line, 4 spouts, 2 laminars, and runs of pipe for misters, 3 fire features, grill in bar area, sump pump, etc. I think the plumber may have run for the hills!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.