Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding Muratic Acid

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding Muratic Acid

Hi, I am going to work on lowering the TA in our pool. Plan to use MA, to lower pH, then run the spa fountain to aerate. Is there any guidelines when adding the MA? I read to drizzle it in, in front of one the returns in the deep end. Is there a guide as to the volume of MA to add? I mean I can figure out how much to put in, using the pool calculator, [39oz] to lower pH to 7.2, but is 39oz ok to add, all at once even if I drizzle it very slowly?

I couldn't tell you guys how much fun it has been, over the last few months, working on keeping our pool looking crystal clear and sparkly.... thanks to all the info, and people here.

Today's numbers:
    FC-8.5
    CC-0.0
    TC- 8.5
    pH- 7.6
    TA-110
    CH-300
    CYA-70
    TEMP-72ish
    19500K IG Plaster Free Form Pool W/Spa
    Pentair Clean&Clear Plus 420/WhisperFlo WFE-8 1HPmotor/Booster Pump
    Sta-Rite Gas Fired Heater/ Aqualinks RS6

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding Muratic Acid

You have it right. Use the Pool Calculator to figure out the quantity. Aim for 7.2 at first, so you don't cause any problems if you add a little too much acid. As you get more used to adjusting the PH you can aim for 7.0. Pour muriatic acid slowly in front of a return jet with the pump running.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Whats your target for TA ? At this point I would love to see 110 TA , Mine is stubornly hanging at 230 last 24 hrs.
    coloeb,
    20k gal. IG fiberglass/plaster rectangle 32'x16'
    Hayward Superpump 3/4 H.P. primary Hayward model 5060 Booster Pump
    Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter
    Pentair Model 320 automatic Chlorine/bromine in-line feeder

4. Back To Top    #4

I would like to get it down to 80-90. Here is where I screwed up. We moved in last OCT. Never owned a pool and the pool was full of stuff, like tables chairs, umbrella, a gazillion cigarette butts, green water and so on. I fished all the junk out, hired a pool guy to just tell me what I should do. He tested the water using strips, went over the equipment with me, and gave me a list of stuff to buy and dump in the pool.

So I did. Pool cleared up, But, I put a lot of stabilizer, and acid in all the wrong way. Then he told me just to use pucks in the floater, and test with the strips I had. I wish I would have come across this site before all that. Anyway here is a pic of it all cleaned up and nice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

Sounds alot like what I went through last year , wound up with scaling and such. Will pay way more attention this year ).
    coloeb,
    20k gal. IG fiberglass/plaster rectangle 32'x16'
    Hayward Superpump 3/4 H.P. primary Hayward model 5060 Booster Pump
    Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter
    Pentair Model 320 automatic Chlorine/bromine in-line feeder

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by MyBad
    Hi, I am going to work on lowering the TA in our pool. Plan to use MA, to lower pH, then run the spa fountain to aerate. Is there any guidelines when adding the MA? I read to drizzle it in, in front of one the returns in the deep end. Is there a guide as to the volume of MA to add? I mean I can figure out how much to put in, using the pool calculator, [39oz] to lower pH to 7.2, but is 39oz ok to add, all at once even if I drizzle it very slowly?

I couldn't tell you guys how much fun it has been, over the last few months, working on keeping our pool looking crystal clear and sparkly.... thanks to all the info, and people here.

Today's numbers:
    FC-8.5
    CC-0.0
    TC- 8.5
    pH- 7.6
    TA-110
    CH-300
    CYA-70
    TEMP-72ish
    I usually add acid 2 or 3 cups at a time. My technique is this: I have a small clean plastic pail. I scoop a gallon or so of water out of the pool with it. Measure and pour the acid into the pail of water. I measure over the pail, in case of spills. And right at the edge of the pool. Reach in with the cup and rinse the acid off in the pool. Then I pick up the pail and sling the contents at the center of the pool, as far away as I can. It usually hits the surface in a strip about 10' long and maybe 1½' wide. The splashes don't make it to the edge, usually. And if they do, I don't worry - my junior high science teacher told us to pour acid into water so if there's a splash, it will be water, not acid. Something about if you toss a rock into a lake, water splashes out, not rock. But I digress.
    After that, I rinse the pail in the pool, and carry everything back to the shed. Then I grab the brush and start brushing. By the time I've gone around the pool, I'm confident it's well-mixed.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Richard320: What, your pump is broken? Sounds like Too Much Trouble to me.... pour slowly (~an ounce at a time, ~5 sec between pours) in front of a return. In the daylight I can see the swirly shadows on the bottom of the pool as the jet stream carries the acid away. After that, it is mixed!

(The splash trick wouldn't work for me, the acid would all end up on top of the cover.)
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

8. Back To Top    #8

please do not sling acid (even diluted)...with the wrong release technique (which I'm sure you have down pat) accidents can happen...even Tiger slices a ball here or there
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    pour slowly (~an ounce at a time, ~5 sec between pours)
    At that rate it would take me all day to add borates using borax - I need 10 gallons of MA to maintain pH. I think a slow, steady, continuous stream in front of a powerful return is safe, no?
    45,180 gallon 26' x 53' IG Vinyl, irregular shape. Hayward sand filter / pump. Polaris AutoClear SWG, supplemented with a Hayward Automatic Chlorinator (In-Line). Hayward 400K BTU heater. Paramount "turnover" system. Polaris 480 PRO cleaner.

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, a slow steady stream about the diameter of a pencil is good. Of course, the pump needs to be running the entire time.

When pouring large quantities, make sure to wear clothes that you don't mind getting damaged. With practice adding a cup or two isn't much risk, but doing gallon after gallon raises the odds that you will get a drop on your clothes at some point.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

baudilus, we were talking reducing-pH quantities not adding-borax quantities. When using multiple gallons, the trick of floating the jug in the pool while you pour would go a long way to reducing splash.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    please do not sling acid (even diluted)...with the wrong release technique (which I'm sure you have down pat) accidents can happen...even Tiger slices a ball here or there
    Is that what they are calling it these days.
    CaryB
    36 x 18 IG vinyl, 25K, 1 HP pump, sand filter
    1 skimmer, 2 returns, no main drain
    Old school: PoolSolutions test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Added the acid today and TA was down to 100, from 110 schweet!

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by MyBad
    Added the acid today and TA was down to 100, from 110 schweet!

Beautiful pool
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly

Beautiful pool
    TY, it is getting there

16. Back To Top    #16

Man..a TA of 110...what r u worried about??? Go swim and fuggettaboutdit. Man...if my TA was there, I'd be relaxing on my pool lounge with a beer and worrying about testing next week.

Dan
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

17. Back To Top    #17

Amen Flyweed!!!

I've come down from 200+++++++ to 130 at last check. I finally just turned off my country fountain and put my return in the right spot for best circulation...when the guys are done blowing sawdust everywhere, I'll worry about TA again...
    Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump
    http://www.poolservicestech.com Liquidator
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.tftestkits.net TFT100 test kit

18. Back To Top    #18

I started putting the MA bottle in the pool and tipping it in the pool a little in each return to the pool.....no smell that way and it appears the acid is heavier so comes out....when I take the jug out some water does go in so acid in bottle gets a little diluted for next time....no more getting knocked over by a faint wiff!