Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replace 1 spd 1Hp Superpumb with a 2 Speed Motor?

1. Back To Top    #1

Replace 1 spd 1Hp Superpumb with a 2 Speed Motor?

I'm sure this question has been asked a lot, but I didn't see it when I searched...

Can I replace a single-speed Hayward Superpump motor with a 2-speed motor and still retain the pumping effectivity of the wet-end?

If so, what motor (56J frame?) is the better motor to go to?

Thanks,
    Terry in NC
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck
    Lots of oak trees, maple trees, *and* leaves!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replace 1 spd 1Hp Superpumb with a 2 Speed Motor?

Do you have 230VAC for the pump?

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    Do you have 230VAC for the pump?
    Scott
    Definitely YES!
    I have 230/1 phase/40 amps available!
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck

4. Back To Top    #4

56Y - 1081

Threaded shaft, 56 Frame

AO Smith CBX2102 1 HP / 1/8 HP

or Century B034 1.5 HP / 1/5 HP
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

Superpumps use a 56J frame like these:
    http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/56Jframe.htm

You will want a 3/4 full rated or 1 HP uprated motor.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    Superpumps use a 56J frame like these:
    http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/56Jframe.htm
    You will want a 3/4 full rated or 1 HP uprated motor.
    Mark:
    Is there *any* chance of putting a variable speed motor on the existing wet-end?
    My "guess" is that the speed control feature of the variable speed motors is built into the entire pump therefore I'd have to change out the entire pump. Is this correct?
    -Thanks again!
    Triad Region of NC

7. Back To Top    #7

Some motors can be retrofitted with a variable frequency drive to get variable speed operation. This isn't done very often so I don't really know the details. You might want to take a look at http://www.hybridpumps.com/.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

You can use a retrofit solution as Jason showed but you have to make sure that the motor is inverter rated. Not all pool pump motors are rated for VFDs so they will tend to fail sooner. The folks at Hybrid should be able to help you find a motor to use with their retrofit.

However, it might be more cost effective over the long run to just go with one of their pumps. By the time you replace the motor and get the drive, you will probably be more than half way toward the full pump. The full pump offers a bit more efficiency as well so pay back would likely be only a little bit longer than the retrofit solution.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Some motors can be retrofitted with a variable frequency drive to get variable speed operation. This isn't done very often so I don't really know the details. You might want to take a look at http://www.hybridpumps.com/.
    Mark: "You can use a retrofit solution as Jason showed but you have to make sure that the motor is inverter rated. Not all pool pump motors are rated for VFDs so they will tend to fail sooner. The folks at Hybrid should be able to help you find a motor to use with their retrofit.
    However, it might be more cost effective over the long run to just go with one of their pumps. By the time you replace the motor and get the drive, you will probably be more than half way toward the full pump. The full pump offers a bit more efficiency as well so pay back would likely be only a little bit longer than the retrofit solution."
    Thanks for the information!
    It's another one of those situations where I'd like to be able to get some use out of the wet end that I already have without spending a fortune for a new pump. It seems like a 2 speed motor would be the most cost effective method, but I'll have to come up with some sources and run the numbers. I just know that I can probably (?) replace the motor and have it paid for this year... A full variable speed pump may be different.

Thanks again!
    -Terry in NC
    Triad Region of NC