Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pebble Tec

1. Back To Top    #1

Pebble Tec

Not sure where else to put this question. I have a pebbletec pool that that is pretty much covered by the pool deck above. There are parts, next to the waterfall where pebbletec is exposed to the AZ sun . I've heard rumors that its bad exposing pebbletec to the sun and may crack in 10 years. Is this true ? should I continue the deck to cover the exposed pebbletec ? area circled in red in put pic

Pool size 10,000 AG
    Pebble Tec
    Jandy Cartridge Filter
    Build in 2008
    Waterfall, pop ups

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pebble Tec

If you didn't put a tile line at the water level, the fish that is exposed to air may crack, discolor or delaminate. PT, as well as most any other cementacious plaster types need to be submerged. The 6" tile line at the water level does this.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

The sad thing is, this is the way the pool company had designed it. They didn't even give us the option for tile. I think they knew they were going out of business and just didn't care. Now I have to do it myself
    Pool size 10,000 AG
    Pebble Tec
    Jandy Cartridge Filter
    Build in 2008
    Waterfall, pop ups

4. Back To Top    #4

Nice pool!
    All the companies we interviewed for our build said they won't build a pool without tiles at the waterline. Due to the hardwater issues we have here. I'll ask the decking guys what they think about your situation when they show up to do our decking.
    Who was your builder?
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

5. Back To Top    #5

I would leave it alone until you actually have problems. It should last several years as it is and you should get plenty of warning (small cracks) before anything goes seriously wrong. Fixing it later isn't going to be any more work than fixing it now.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

This is a surprisingly common thing down here (Tucson). Several pools in our neighborhood have exposed Pebbletec, and they look OK so far, but I have no idea how old they are (<10 years for sure).
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

7. Back To Top    #7

I talked to my decking guy today. He didnt seem to concerned about the pebble being exposed. He said he's poured for other builders that sell the "rolled beam" but hasnt heard of anyy issues.
    On a side note if you are losing sleep over the issue (like I would) you could install some type of clean ground cover over the areas that are exposed. Lantana or something like that might be an alternative.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Shane1
    I talked to my decking guy today. He didnt seem to concerned about the pebble being exposed. He said he's poured for other builders that sell the "rolled beam" but hasnt heard of anyy issues.
    On a side note if you are losing sleep over the issue (like I would) you could install some type of clean ground cover over the areas that are exposed. Lantana or something like that might be an alternative.
    Hey thanks for the help. We had Riviera pools which went under the year the pool was finished. I hope your installer is right.
    Pool size 10,000 AG
    Pebble Tec
    Jandy Cartridge Filter
    Build in 2008
    Waterfall, pop ups