Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Problem

I decided to open the pool this year on my own. Everything was going great until it came time to start the pump.

I own a hayward super pump.

I removed all the plugs on the skimmers and the return valves (including the polaris return). All drainage plugs have been put back in place on the main pump (2), polaris (1), and DE filter (top and bottom).

I filled the main pump skimmer basket full of water. I set multi-valve handle to circulate. I turn the power on the main pump and all I hear is a loud humming noise from the motor. Water doesn't start to flow, no suction, vacuum, nothing.

I checked for any blockages pool side and pump side. Pump impeller is not blocked. Nothing.

Before I call in a professional, I wanted to post here and hope that maybe I'm forgetting something simple that is causing the pump not successfully start moving water.
    My Pool Stats
    IG Pool - 21,000 Gallon - Vinyl Liner
    Hayward 1.5HP Super Pump EE; Hayward DE Filter; Goldline SWG
    32' x 16', 8' deep at the deep end, about 3' shallow end

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Problem

Could be the start capacitor went bad. They are pretty simple to replace if you feel comfortable with that sort of thing.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm unfamiliar with how to change a start capacitor. Not something I'm looking to do on my own. I'm leaning toward calling a pro on monday. Hopefully is something minor and I can get up and running again quickly.
    My Pool Stats

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Are you sure the pump motor is not spinning? Perhaps the pump is not priming?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I doesn't appear the motor is spinning at all. It's a self priming pump. How can I test if its priming properly?

The pump emits a loud hum sound immediate after I turn it on. After 5-10 seconds is shuts itself down and resets after a few minutes.
    My Pool Stats

6. Back To Top    #6

Tools needed:

3/8" drive ratchet, extensions a little longer than the motor, a 9/16" socket

The motor is connected to the wet end(the black pump body) using a seal plate. THhere are four 9/16" bolts connecting the seal plate to the pump body. Loosen and remove the two lower bolts and then the two uppers.

Pull the pump motor and seal plate back. The volute will likely come with it partially, remove it and set to the side.

The impeller is now visible. Spin it by hand a few times. Turn on the motor. If the motor turns on and spins the impeller, great! Put the volute back on. It will be labeled TOP. Orientate it correctly and reinstall in reverse order. Don't over tighten the bolts. Snug plus a little extra is usually enough.

Refill the pump basket and turn it on.

If the hum returns, the start capacitor will need to be swapped.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the info Scott.

I actually took the pump apart yesterday and checked the impeller although I didn't turn on the motor while I had the unit open. There was nothing jamming the impeller. Rotated it a few times by hand. Put the unit back together. Same hum noise with no suction.

Tomorrow I'm going to call to have the motor looked at and repaired.
    My Pool Stats

8. Back To Top    #8

Update: I took the motor apart again this afternoon. The impeller was actually stuck. I was able to get it to turn clockwise. I put it all back together and now the pump is running. Thanks for all the help.

I not have another issue, but I'll post a new forum question.
    My Pool Stats

9. Back To Top    #9

Now that I have the pump running. The noise coming off it is much louder than in years past. It sounds like a friction/smooth grinding. I'm assuming its because the bearings are rusty and there is no lubrication.

Are the bearings replaceable? or is it better to replace the entire pump at that point?

The pump is about 5-6 yrs old.
    My Pool Stats