Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris getting stuck behind ladder

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris getting stuck behind ladder

My 280 cleaner gets stuck behind the ladder in the deep end and I have to push it out with a broom handle. It happens so frequently that I can't leave the cleaner unattended for more than a few minutes. In checking around I see Polaris sells a kit that attaches to the ladder to prevent this from happening and I wonder if anyone has one installed and if so does it work.

I tried attaching some 3/4" PVC pipe to the sides of the ladder using cable ties and it worked for awhile, but looked pretty bad. The pipe kept coming out of the cable ties and I finally just took the whole mess down. Has anyone that had the problem found a cure besides the Polaris kit?
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Polaris getting stuck behind ladder

The kit is effective at deflecting the sweep.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

The sweep is not the problem. The whole body gets wedged behind the ladder. It will enter from either side or the bottom and the pull back valve will not pull it out.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

4. Back To Top    #4

It sounds like you need the Polaris G21 ladder guard kit.

Jeff
    16x32 IG vinyl, 19,000 gal, 1.0 hp pump, sand filter, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, diving board, slide

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

the Polaris G21 ladder guard kit is the right answer, however, it does make the ladder look like it has wings on it! lol
    You may want to try this, it may NOT work as it has only worked for me a few times:
    The little jet that is located in the back of the unit; should be set at 11:00 as you look at it.
    This setting allows the polaris to climb quite well.
    Try setting the jet to 3:00 instead, it will still climb the
    walls, however, at a different angle.

Like I said, It may work for you, it may not - worth a try before installing the G21.
    36K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152

6. Back To Top    #6

I have the same problem. I have two ladders and the G21 kits are about $35 each. That seems kind of pricey for a couple of pieces of plastic. Does anybody know of a better deal?
    37000 gallon inground vinyl
    intelliflo 11018
    Pentair 80 sand filter
    3/4 booster with polaris 260

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by polaris mechanic
    the Polaris G21 ladder guard kit is the right answer, however, it does make the ladder look like it has wings on it! lol
    You may want to try this, it may NOT work as it has only worked for me a few times:
    The little jet that is located in the back of the unit; should be set at 11:00 as you look at it.

Like I said, It may work for you, it may not - worth a try before installing the G21.

definitely try this.... it may work! though the 11 position is the standard it isn't stuck in that position. try different set ups until you find a setting that works for your pool!
    http://www.californiapoolsdirect.com serving Dallas pools since 1953!

8. Back To Top    #8

I have the same problem with my 280 getting stuck on the ladder in the deep end. Anyone have a photo of the G21 ladder guard installed? Curious to see what it looks like.
    42,000 gallon, 24'x44' rectangle, inground plaster.
    Pool age 30+ years.
    Hayward C-4025 cartridge.
    Polaris 280.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by polaris mechanic

It may be that my Monday morning coffee hasn't kicked in yet, but I'm not understanding what the 11:00 or 3:00 settings correlate to. Is straight back (which is what I've read I should set it at) 3:00?

Sorry for being dense this morning.

10. Back To Top    #10

My 380 gets stuck as well. I've tried adjusting the climbing levels to no avail. I'd like to fabricate something simple and inexpensive before purchasing the Polaris guard.
    15x30 IG vinyl liner pool, pool cage
    Hayward S-220T high rate sand filter and Hayward super pump w/1hp motor
    Hayward SwimPure Plus SWG
    Polaris 380 cleaner and booster pump

11. Back To Top    #11

I agree. I have two ladders and just don't want to pay that much for some pieces of plastic. It surprises me that somebody hasn't put something on Ebay 8 BUCKS.
    37000 gallon inground vinyl
    intelliflo 11018
    Pentair 80 sand filter
    3/4 booster with polaris 260

12. Back To Top    #12

Hello everyone. My name is Mark. My girlfriend and I also had the problem with the Polaris hanging up behind the ladder. She had the Polaris guards on her ladder but it was still hanging up, and they also get brittle after a while. So after thinking about it I more or less invented a guard that works so well that she and I are seriously thinking of getting a patent on it. I wonder if there would be enough of a market for it to make it worthwhile. I`d appreciate any comments. Thank you.

13. Back To Top    #13

I ended up making a frame out of 1" PVC that goes around the bottom and both sides then attached it to the ladder with SS hose clamps. That works very well and cured the problem. It's also very cheap and easy to make.