Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help! Ran Out of R-0071 Right in the Middle of It!

1. Back To Top    #1

Help! Ran Out of R-0071 Right in the Middle of It!

We uncovered our pool Sunday and have been shocking the aglae away since. It's almost gone, water's now a slightly cloudy blue and FC has been close to holding all day. I was going to do the overnight test tonight but am almost out of R-0071 drops! I just ordered some but it will be a couple of days till it gets here. What do I do?? CYA is 50 so FC needs to be 20, too high to use the other tester. Any suggestions??

Me ----->>>
    13.5K gal IG vinyl, Hayward 1 HP pump, 20"-ish sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help! Ran Out of R-0071 Right in the Middle of It!

Quote Originally Posted by Lolly
    We uncovered our pool Sunday and have been shocking the aglae away since. It's almost gone, water's now a slightly cloudy blue and FC has been close to holding all day. I was going to do the overnight test tonight but am almost out of R-0071 drops! I just ordered some but it will be a couple of days till it gets here. What do I do?? CYA is 50 so FC needs to be 20, too high to use the other tester. Any suggestions??

Me ----->>>
    I would say the pool store, but not sure they can test that high for FC. Hopefully someone will be along wth other ideas.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

If the algae is dead, why hold the 20 level?

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

I said "almost" ....I had to brush a little off the sides today so just want to be sure by doing the overnite test before I let it drop to normal levels.
    13.5K gal IG vinyl, Hayward 1 HP pump, 20"-ish sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Shot glass method - 3 parts distilled or chlorine-free water and 1 part pool water. Mix together and then use that as your test sample pour it into the comparator. add the drops and then multiply the results by four. It does lose some accuracy this way but will allow you to test up to 20.

Don't bother with the overnight FC test tonight; but add enough chlorine to reach 20 each evening until your reagent refill arrives.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

I guess you could just use how much you have added prior if it has been pretty steady on the amount you have added.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Another approach, fairly rough, is to get out the OTO chlorine test and look at the color it gives when FC is 20 and then try to remember that color and aim for it again. The OTO test reads TC levels up to about 40 as distinct colors, there just aren't color charts to compare it to.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School