Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A couple winter cover questions.

1. Back To Top    #1

A couple winter cover questions.

We've only had the pool for two seasons so I don't know if we're doing it right or not. Our pool store closes for us.

1) Is there a way to keep water off the winter cover (snow, rain, etc) or at least minimize it? Or, is it not a problem to be there.

2) Last year, the PS was upset with us because we didn't tell them our cover needed drained before they could open it. Well, we didn't know!! So, they had to set up pump on there and drain it for an hour and then come back to open it. Can we get a pump like that ourselves. They charged us was seemed like a lot do that for us for an hour. Or, should we just go our with several buckets and try to scoop off as much as possible?
    27' round AG, sand, Ohio, well water, 19,000 gallons approx., New owners to the pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: A couple winter cover questions.

You need to get a pump to get rid of the excess water on the cover over the winter. To much water can cause it to sag and srop into the pool, potentially. I assume you have a solid cover held on using water bags?
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

No, it's like a huge round tarp type cover that just tightens around the lip of the pool. It's not hard. It's what the owners before us used (but we had to get a new one) and it's what the pool store recommended. It seems to be what everyone around here uses.
    27' round AG, sand, Ohio, well water, 19,000 gallons approx., New owners to the pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, sorry, i just noticed you have an above ground pool. You still need to get a pump to get rid of the excess water. some people will put an air pillow underneath to help shed the water off and hold the cover up.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

yes you can pump off your own cover.

they have a few different above ground covers now that deal with rain water.
    the eliminator pool cover
    http://www.blueoceanpools.com/products/ci/16/pi/37

and there is also another one that has all the rain water funnel to the center and then flows out through the return line with an attached hose.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

6. Back To Top    #6

Pool stores sell cover pumps - you can also use a submersible pump - it is really handy I bought one two years ago for less than $100 at Home Depot. This year we took off the cover but ran out of time for connecting the filter-it was the following weekend before hubby could get to it. So I used the sub-pump to circulate the water during the week.

We use an air pillow- the water still collects on the cover. Not much you can do to avoid it - we've tried everything. You will save money getting a pump and doing it your self... pretty soon you'll be taking the cover off yourself too. We always do our own open/close it's fairly straightforward - just a little tedious but worth it for the money you can save.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks everyone. I do hope to do our own open/close soon. I just get so worried about connected all the hoses and power etc. I replaced a hose myself last year and could NOT get it tightened enough. It kept blowing off. I ended up having to have the pool company come out anyway to tighten for me.

8. Back To Top    #8

Since gravity is on your side, you could just siphon it off with a garden hose.
    20,000 Gallon kidney sort of a sand filtered gunite in ground pool w/ hot tub.