Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pump continuously or stick with program?

1. Back To Top    #1

Lowering TA with borates already in

I was going to post a new thread on a similar topic, but this leads into it.
    Split off. Always ask questions in your own topic, not in some existing topic. Thanks JasonLion

My pH drifts from 7.6-7.8 over a weeks time. I have read where others don't have to adjust pH for weeks at a time. My TA is 90 and I have 50ppm borates. I would like to lower TA to 80 and see if the drift slows down. Am I on the right track?
    ~15000 gallon inground, plaster pool
    Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter Tank, Jandy Stealth SHPF 1.5hp pump, Pentair Legend II cleaner
    Leslie's DPD Complete Test Kit, TF Tests FAS-DPD Chlorine Test Kit
    Heliocol solar pool heating (HC-40 x6)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lowering TA

I lowered my pH to 7.0 today (I didn't mean to go that low) to bring TA from 90 down to 70. Do I have to let the pump run continuously until the pH gets to ~7.5, or can I just stay on my 4 hr run time? I have the waterfalls going, 2 small ones, and my pool gets great circulation from the 1.5hp pump.
    Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter Tank, Jandy Stealth SHPF 1.5hp pump, Pentair Legend II cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

pump continuously or stick with program?

I lowered my pH to 7.0 today to bring TA from 90 down to 70. Do I have to let the pump run continuously until the pH gets to ~7.5, or can I just stay on my 4 hr run time? I have the waterfalls going, 2 small ones, and my pool gets great circulation from the 1.5hp pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: pump continuously or stick with program?

You can stick with the program if there is some compelling reason to - 7.0 is low and very close to the danger zone. Aeration is slow, so I suggest testing your pH right before you begin pumping, then test after 4 hours to see what the rise is, then you can expect it to rise at that rate. If that's too slow, run the pump 24/7.
    45,180 gallon 26' x 53' IG Vinyl, irregular shape. Hayward sand filter / pump. Polaris AutoClear SWG, supplemented with a Hayward Automatic Chlorinator (In-Line). Hayward 400K BTU heater. Paramount "turnover" system. Polaris 480 PRO cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: Lowering TA with borates already in

As long as the PH is at least 7.0 there is no need to run the pump extra or add chemicals. However, you probably won't want to swim until the PH goes up to 7.2 or higher. If you aren't in any hurry, just keep to the normal schedule and the PH will go up eventually.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: pump continuously or stick with program?

It reached 7.3 after 5 hrs of pumping. I turned it off and assume I'll be at 7.5 today. Thanks.