18x52 Intex Ultra paver placement question

Apr 28, 2012
Finally ready to place pavers. We had a 19' diameter hole dug 1' deep into hard clay.Retained ground with thick galvanized sheet metal and CCA 2' 2x2's. I have 18 6x6 pavers to set uprights on. My question is does anyone know the exact diameter of where the feet end up once the pool is filled? I plan on addressing the drainage issue with the hard clay by burying a piece of PVC pipe upright just below grade and fill/cover with gravel. These will be exactly in between paver's and I'm thinking about pouring Earth Right(soil conditioner that breaks up hard clay and allows drainage) down each pipe. I have read where the pool is not to be set on chemically treated soil, but im thinking the length of pipe will treat only small deep areas. Any thoughts about this?

The way everyone has been setting the pavers is to assemble the top rail, and use the stub from the tee sections, (the part that goes inside the support legs) as a guide.

I would recommend against messing with your clay, other than maybe shave off a slight grade outside the circle for you pool so any water can drain off, you would only need a 1/4 to 1/2 inch drop over the 19' for it to drain.

If you are using foam between the clay and bottom of the pool, then backfill to the height of the foam with sand and that would help.

Not sure where in the midwest you are but here in MO we hit clay about 3-4 inches down.

Thanks for your advice. We're little south of KC. There's still a lot of HARD clay/mixed with gravel left over from our build at 1'. Do you have any idea how far it usually extends down, or does it vary a lot? I've been wetting it to shave it with a really cool weeding blade tool. I am surprised how fast the hole seems to drain and last night we had a fair amount of rain and it seemed to drain, so there must be a lot less clay than my back tells me there is. I'll just use that tool to do what you've suggested. I planned on using the assembled T's after I have pavers nearly level. Im wondering how much legs push out from the top when filled. This is why I'm being meticulous(obsessed) about getting this set up exactly right this season. I was excited to have the 52" deep pool down in the ground 12" because it sits 14' from the walkout basement windows and french doors and all you see is pool wall. I had no regrets about my last minute decision, until my husband got home and threw a fit about the giant hole that we(kids and pets especially) would have to deal with during the winter. I had a serious "Oh Crud, hadn't thought of that moment!" So after a lot of "discussion"we've decided that we are going to be one of the few Intex owners in our area that dare to leave pool in place through the winter. We're in a "warmer" microclimate of the area. So Im hoping that if we do all the winterizing tricks that we'll be successful.

It sounds like your area is alot like ours, a couple of inches of sod & topsoil, then you have rock/gravel mixed with clay below that, if this is the case then your clay WILL drain because of the rock/gravel that is mixed in.

I would put a layer of small rock, or screenings on top of your clay,(make sure that is as level as possible), place and level your pavers, then cover with foam and cover the foam with the ground cloth and setup the pool.

Doing it that way you can go ahead and spread the rock/screenings over your entire hole, and the foam and pavers will keep your pool from touching what is out around the pool itself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.