Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair clorinator question

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair clorinator question

I have a new Pentair SWG 40 system. The initial salt read was 2600 after adding 8 bags of salt. I added a couple more bags and now the system is reading between 1200-1400 ppm. My test strips are reading in the 3000-3200 range. What should I do?
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair clorinator question

Was the initial salt read from the unit?

Edit: based on the pool calculator, that new reading from the unit can't be correct. Does the manual give a way to calibrate the unit or something? (I'm a SWG noob)
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

It can take 24 to 48 hours for the salt to mix in completely and the reading on the SWG to settle down. If it hasn't been that long already, give it a day or two and then see where you are.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

It has been well over the 48 hour time frame. After the initial 48 hours it read 2600 ppm. Then the next day 1200- today 1400.
    Salt test stripe says 3000-3200, which makes sense from the pool calc.
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

5. Back To Top    #5

Where are you taking your water sample from? Also make sure your main drain and skimmers are both opened.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Water sample is at the point where the shallow end and deep end meet and at elbow depth (when discussing the test strip) We have a 18,000 gallon pool and have added 10 bags of salt.

Today the SWCG read 1400 ppm and my test strip reads 3000-3200 ppm.

7. Back To Top    #7

Is the water very cold? Cold water, below 60 degrees, can sometimes cause problems with salt level readings.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

water is 75 degree with the solar.

9. Back To Top    #9

Then it is time to call your builder, or installer, or Pentair tech support.

10. Back To Top    #10

You can do field calibration. You can get the instructions from Pentair but if they won't give them to you let me know and I will send them to you - very simple. I don't have them with me at the moment otherwise I would send them now.