Help with shocking

Your algae isn't behaving the same way mustard algae does at all. Mustard algae cleans up very easily, go to sock level, brush, wait a day, and then it appears to be gone, clear water, only to come back a couple of days to a week later.

What are your current FC, PH, and TA numbers and how has the FC level been behaving? If you have algae all over again, FC should have dropped to zero when the algae got going. If FC has been behaving normally then you might have a filter problem of some kind.

Thanks Jason....it is a brand new filter and pump. It seems to be working fine...had a little trouble getting it started and working properly at first...but I was messing up and finally figured it out. It has a great suction and return going at all times now.

FC - 6
PH -7.5
TA -110

FC has been dropping down all week coming from the shock level...I check it every other day and haven't let it go below 6. I need to bring my TA down even more, just wanted to wait until I heard back from someone before I started that plan.

Have you been watching the pressure on the filter? It should have been going up slowly day by day through the whole process. Unless it is a very large filter it probably will have needed to be cleaned already at some point in this process.

I'm not sure what you mean by the pressure, there is no gauge. It uses size B Cartridges and last week I was changing the filter everyday, this week every other day because it is not as dirty and green as last week during al the shocking.

LOL...I know it's not a favorite around here, but it's all I've got to work with....sooooo does that explain anything to you about it going back to green? Should I shock it again? I realize it could take a week to clear it....but it shouldn't turn back to green in the process right?

As long as you stay above the minimum FC level at all times you shouldn't get algae again. If the FC level suddenly falls you have a problem. From your description, the FC level has been fine, so I can't really explain what might be happening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.