Which NON Chlorine system?

Lighten up people! Didn't you see the <wink> in Strannik's original posts when he said that people should use SWGs?! He was making a reference to the fact that he is conneccted with a SWG company! :party: Am I the only one who caught the humor? :whoot:

waterbear said:
Lighten up people! Didn't you see the <wink> in Strannik's original posts when he said that people should use SWGs?! He was making a reference to the fact that he is conneccted with a SWG company! :party: Am I the only one who caught the humor? :whoot:
Well, as the winky thingy was absent from all but the first and one subsequent post, I don't think we were being completely unreasonable; especially considering the references to weaponized chlorine and breathing spilled bleach fumes. I am also unfamiliar with any research supports the assertion that people "are sensitive to other chemicals which are added into prepackaged chlorine". Which things are those? CYA? Calcium? Lithium? Sodium?

I'm not trying to start a food fight here (especially with waterbear on chemistry issues), but comments like "errr... it's poisonous[,] people die from it[,] they used to use chlorine gas during WWI as a chemical weapon", are not exactly the stuff of goodness and light.

Well, I think I actually started the food fight... let me say sorry strannik, I misunderstood your wink... I assumed you were kind of trying to sell your product without trying to sell your product, if you get my meaning. (you sell SWGs so all chlorine is poison so buy an SWG... something like that) But your subsequent comments did seem, well, kind of sarcastic and unfounded.

In any case, sorry if I misunderstood, or started something I shouldn't have. :oops:

Strannik said:
Looks like somebody here needs to re-read what i said ;)

I never said that the chlorine in a pool is causing problems. I said that before it gets to the pool it has a potential to cause problems. If you close all the windows, go around the house splashing chlorine everywhere, and then sit there, you are quite likely to feel unwell.
Sorry Strannik. I was thinking of splashing chlorine outside since most of us have outdoor pools. Yes, splashing chlorinating liquid or bleach inside the house with windows closed and no venitliation is not very healthy, but the strong chlorine smell will tell you that right away. It's not as if it sneaks up on you and the spilled chlorine mostly stays as a liquid for a while (i.e. it doesn't turn into gas) unless it mixes with an acid. I'm much more concerned about what would get bleached to white during the spillage (clothes, carpet, flooring) than I am about my own health since I can just leave the chlorine-smelling area or open some windows.

Richard

KurtV said:
waterbear said:
Well, as the winky thingy was absent from all but the first and one subsequent post, I don't think we were being completely unreasonable; especially considering the references to weaponized chlorine and breathing spilled bleach fumes. I am also unfamiliar with any research supports the assertion that people "are sensitive to other chemicals which are added into prepackaged chlorine". Which things are those? CYA? Calcium? Lithium? Sodium?

I'm not trying to start a food fight here (especially with waterbear on chemistry issues), but comments like "errr... it's poisonous[,] people die from it[,] they used to use chlorine gas during WWI as a chemical weapon", are not exactly the stuff of goodness and light.

There is no scientific research, however people who report allergies while swimming in pools chlorinated in conventional ways, seem to not have those allergies when swimming in pools with SWG. I wouldn't have a clue what do people react to (and different people would react to different things), all i can say it's not chlorine, it's something else.

It is generally presumed that people are reacting to some of the combined chlorine compunds. It is quite possible to keep CC near zero even without a SWG, and people who do also appear to have pools that don't trigger most of the so called "chlorine" alergies.

JasonLion said:
It is generally presumed that people are reacting to some of the combined chlorine compunds. It is quite possible to keep CC near zero even without a SWG, and people who do also appear to have pools that don't trigger most of the so called "chlorine" alergies.
You're almost certainly right, Jason. Which means we're back to the same old thing: Most problems with "chlorine" pools probably result from inconsistent and/or insufficient chlorination. That can happen with or without an SWG and often does. It may happen less with SWG pools, especially when compared to the typically poorly maintained home pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.