Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unusual finds

1. Back To Top    #1

Unusual finds

I'm curious - if you don't mind sharing, what is the most unusual thing you've ever found in you pool?

I find that during some months in the summer the occassionally field mouse or small brid meets its demise in my skimmer baskets.
    45,180 gallon 26' x 53' IG Vinyl, irregular shape. Hayward sand filter / pump. Polaris AutoClear SWG, supplemented with a Hayward Automatic Chlorinator (In-Line). Hayward 400K BTU heater. Paramount "turnover" system. Polaris 480 PRO cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Unusual finds

Boy, I have a feeling this thread is going to make me so thankful that I have a screen eclosure!

I'm sure it's not unusual at all; strangest thing I've found is a frog.
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

3. Back To Top    #3

I have had snakes, frogs, squirrels, and mice. In others though, cats, a deer. raccoon, salamanders, and several other animals. I have also fished out chairs, tables, flower pots, and a few cinder blocks.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

I found a squirrle swimming around in about a foot of water in our old easy set pool. It kept swimming around in circles trying to find a way out. I found an old 2x4 and lay it across the pool so the squirrle could climb out.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

A horse, fell through a auto cover, still alive. Lucky it was the shallow end.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

6. Back To Top    #6

We had a stub-tailed squirrel in Louisiana that visited our bird and squirrel feeders... one day, Stumpy met his demise in our intex donut pool

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by no-mas
    Boy, I have a feeling this thread is going to make me so thankful that I have a screen eclosure!

I'm sure it's not unusual at all; strangest thing I've found is a frog.
    I am with no-mas, we love our screen enclosure however we found a snake when we started up our pool, must have gotten into the plumbing during installation....
    5,775 gal, IG free form, Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish, 2 swim out benches, Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues, StaRite Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter replaced with Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15, Polaris 360, Pentair 300w Light upgraded to Pentair IntelliBrite (OMG what a huge difference) , Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers, solar cover, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jet, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer (Makes testing a breeze), Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Margarita Concoction Machine,
    Pics of our Spool ( Social Pool) being built Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

8. Back To Top    #8

I had not one, but two dead starlings in the same skimmer one morning.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

9. Back To Top    #9

Squirrels has been our biggest find
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

10. Back To Top    #10

My parents in south Louisiana get turtles, snakes, frogs, crawfish and have had a few aligators in the past 30 years.
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

11. Back To Top    #11

I've had to fish out two armadillos, a bat, numerous snakes, pond turtles as big as dinner plates, toads, frogs, crayfish, a very young raccoon, numerous mice, and moles, and several birds. We live very close to a wet land (used to be called a swamp) and one of the main feeder creeks runs just behind our pool fence so we get some critter in the pool almost every day.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

12. Back To Top    #12

Live non-venomous snakes of all kinds, usually alive and swimming, usually juveniles. Also, copperheads, a few corals, drowned in skimmer, and two summers ago a juvenile rattlesnake, drowned in skimmer. For some reason the venomous snakes seem to drown more quickly than the non.

Last summer, when pool was drained for acid washing, an adult emerald green, with yellow belly, non-venomous, snake, 36", got into pool and baked in the 100+ morning temp/sun. It was noon before I found it at the drain where there was a bit of water. I thought I knew all of the snake types out here, and see at least one live snake every day. I had never seen this kind of snake before. I tried to identify it but I nothing I've found has helped me put a name to it.

We've never had any birds drown although we feed hundreds. No squirrels or other larger critters. Occasional rats and mice that I rescue if they haven't drowned, a dead mole and a couple of dead, rotten, rats one winter that I used a leaf catcher cover, frogs and toads too. I check the skimmer every morning and rescue anything living.

One winter, when we had a leak, pool was lowered and no pump running. Next spring we had thousands of tadpoles and left them to mature, with hundreds of frogs, before repairing pool.

BTW... every year we have at least on or two squirrels with damaged tails. Last two with absent tails we named Nada and Stubby. Last year we had one with broken tail, but still attached. In the fall she fell from a tree and met her demise.
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by geekgranny
    ... an adult emerald green, with yellow belly, non-venomous, snake, 36", got into pool and baked in the 100+ morning temp/sun. It was noon before I found it at the drain where there was a bit of water. I thought I knew all of the snake types out here, and see at least one live snake every day. I had never seen this kind of snake before. I tried to identify it but I nothing I've found has helped me put a name to it.....
    Try "Rough Green Snake" in google images.
    Geometric 16X36', 16K gal, shotcrete, exposed aggregate plaster, acrylic coated concrete deck/cantilever coping;
    Pentair equipment suite (EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, Intelliflo VS-3050, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG);
    Heliocol solar panels, Rocky's Roller, Blue Diamond robot

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by lee32903
    ... an adult emerald green, with yellow belly, non-venomous, snake, 36", got into pool and baked in the 100+ morning temp/sun. It was noon before I found it at the drain where there was a bit of water. I thought I knew all of the snake types out here, and see at least one live snake every day. I had never seen this kind of snake before. I tried to identify it but I nothing I've found has helped me put a name to it.....
    Thanks, similar color/scaling, a bit darker, closer to emerald, but diameter of snake was over 1" most of body, and pretty large head. The width of the "rough green" in pictures would be newly born or hatched of this particular snake. I have pictures I'll post. I do think the color may have been affected a bit by "cooking".

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

15. Back To Top    #15

I have found baby toads, and three snakes. Two snakes decided that swimming into the main drain while the filter was running was a good idea. The third I managed to extract. All this with a screen enclosure. I now have a cat that prowls the patio/pool area. I don't expect to see more cratures in the pool.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks, similar color/scaling, a bit darker, closer to emerald, but diameter of snake was over 1" most of body, and pretty large head. The width of the "rough green" in pictures would be newly born or hatched of this particular snake. I have pictures I'll post. I do think the color may have been affected a bit by "cooking".
    gg=alice
    I made a mistake. Acid washed pool in 2008.

Pics of two different snakes. First is the emerald green snake. The color was more vivid than what shows in picture. DH hand with exam glove on.

Second snake is adult. When the pool was drained there were several newborns of this in water in drain. I hand picked them out. They started biting immediately. Feisty little buggers.

Last picture is "bucket o copperheads". This is from a little over one weeks collection, most right up at house, furthest away 20 ft, from our nightly "copperhead runs". Count the heads.

17. Back To Top    #17

Yikes I dont think I would want these critters swimming with me. I am very happy we have a pool enclosure
    5,775 gal, IG free form, Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish, 2 swim out benches, Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues, StaRite Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter replaced with Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15, Polaris 360, Pentair 300w Light upgraded to Pentair IntelliBrite (OMG what a huge difference) , Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers, solar cover, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jet, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer (Makes testing a breeze), Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Margarita Concoction Machine,
    Pics of our Spool ( Social Pool) being built Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

18. Back To Top    #18

This is what I usually find in pool, although not too awfully unusual.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Brentr
    Yikes I dont think I would want these critters swimming with me. I am very happy we have a pool enclosure
    DH would never permit me to spend the money on an enclosure unless we won a big lottery. We've had several copperheads in the house and the first month we moved in a juvenile Rattlesnake cooling off smack dab in the middle of the dining room. It's wild out here. Our explosion of frogs, when the pool became "frog pond", made for a HUGE explosion in Copperheads, too. We just have to be really careful, lots of lighting, flashlights, headlights, and no barefoot except on decks, and bring the younger dogs in at dusk to avoid so many snake bites. After so much time you get used to taking precautions for all critters, warm and cold "blooded".

gg=alice

20. Back To Top    #20

gg=alice
    Maybe an Eastern Yellow Belly Racer?

http://www.austinreptileservice.net/solid.html

--paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast