Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thoughts on buying a pump on ebay

1. Back To Top    #1

Thoughts on buying a pump on ebay

How risky is it to buy a pump on ebay? I'm looking at 3/4 to 1 hp pumps.
    13,500 Wilkes Vinyl AG (15'x30' rectangular)
    Hayward Power-Flo LX SP1580, 1HP
    Hayward S-160T High Rate Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thoughts on buying a pump on ebay

If the person has great feedback, over 98% I see no issues.

3. Back To Top    #3

The only concern that I would have would have to do with having the warranty coverage. Not totally sure, but I do believe that some manufacturers won't extend a warranty on a product that has been resold, whether it is in factory packaging or not.

On the other hand though, like laurandavid09 said, if they have good feedback then that's a good thing. And if the deal is really good, it may be worth going after.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

4. Back To Top    #4

Don't expect me to install it though.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

Many of us get around the warranty issue (iRobot doesn't extend any warranty for eBay purchases unless the Seller is an authorized seller) with previously unregistered iRobot 'bots, purchased on eBay, by registering them as gifts. Worth checking into.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

6. Back To Top    #6

I have bought quite a lot off eBay including a 1-1/2 H.P. main pump. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I know I got the pump and had it installed for about $150 less than the pool store wanted for the pump alone not including installation. It was brand new and I had no problem registering the warranty. I also bought a new Polaris 280 pool cleaner for a lot less than I could find anywhere else, and didn't have any trouble with registering. In fact the relief valve was faulty and the factory sent me a new one with no questions asked.

Just be sure the seller has good ratings and a reasonable return policy. I will never buy from anyone that does not accept returns nor will I buy something that is too good to be true. If someone is selling a $500 item for $10.00 then I think it is stolen or defective or it's just a scam and I would never receive it anyway.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

7. Back To Top    #7

Some of the sellers are official pool stores and the company will warranty from them. I bought my intellibrite for $275 (could not pass on this) from an approved ebay company and had no problem registering it. We turn it on almost every nite for a couple of hours while enjoying cocktails in the Flamingo lounge.
    5,775 gal, IG free form, Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish, 2 swim out benches, Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues, StaRite Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter replaced with Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15, Polaris 360, Pentair 300w Light upgraded to Pentair IntelliBrite (OMG what a huge difference) , Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers, solar cover, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jet, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer (Makes testing a breeze), Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Margarita Concoction Machine,
    Pics of our Spool ( Social Pool) being built Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

8. Back To Top    #8

I've bought Polaris parts from these guys a few times: http://stores.ebay.com/Perrys-Pool-Pump They ship quickly and send plenty of emails after I order, to keep me up-to-date with billing, shipping, etc. I've been quite pleased with their service and products.
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by HarryH3
    I've bought Polaris parts from these guys a few times: http://stores.ebay.com/Perrys-Pool-Pump They ship quickly and send plenty of emails after I order, to keep me up-to-date with billing, shipping, etc. I've been quite pleased with their service and products.
    Thanks - just ordered some Polaris parts from them for my spring tune up.

10. Back To Top    #10

We purchased a Hayward Northstar pump from an Ebay seller. It was from a seller that had an Ebay store that sold only pool equipment and had excellent feedback. No problems at all.
    16K gallon, Pebble tec, beach entry. Two 1 hp Pentair Whisperflos. One for Paramount MDX2 main drain, Paramount debris canister, and Pentair CCP 520 filter. One for skimmer w/sock and Paramount PCC2000 in floor cleaner. 3/4 hp Pentair Pinnacle for waterfall. Fiberstars fiber optic pool lighting. Aqua-Logic AQL-P-4 control panel with wired remote in the house. SWCG system that is not used. Ultra-Pure Ozonator that is not used.