Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Start up question

1. Back To Top    #1

Start up question

We will finally be getting our pool pebbled at the end of this week or next. My PBer will be starting up the pool. As I read the start up procedure in the pool school it said to wait to add salt for three weeks. Our PBer says that adding salt wont be a problem with Pebble. He said that the information given in the pool school is for regular plaster not pebble. True or False?
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Start up question

In my understanding, pebble IS regular plaster with the aggregate in it, which is acid washed to expose the aggregate. I may be wrong.

So you treat an aggregate surface (from a chemical standpoint) the same as plaster.

Just be sure whatever you do (or don't do) will not void your warranty.

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3

Plaster is the same as pebble salt wise, except that there is less plaster. Most of the surface is pebble, with only small strips of plaster between pebbles. Those small strips of plaster need to same care as a plain plaster surface would.

Not everyone agrees about the need to wait before adding salt. The National Plasterers Council says not to add salt for 28 days, but many builders add it anyway and nothing too obvious goes wrong. In theory, salt will cause pitting of the plaster surface, which isn't such a big deal between the pebbles where it will be difficult to see, but it does weaken the surface a little.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    The National Plasterers Council says not to add salt for 28 days, but many builders add it anyway and nothing too obvious goes wrong.
    The warranty on my product states that all NPC and the Association of Pool and Spa Professionals guidelines must be followed. If it were me, I'd either get the PB to leave the salt by the pool and add it myself after 28 days, or write a note on the contract about him adding the salt early against NPC guidelines and get him to initial and date it. Well, actually I would not let him do it early period.
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Spoke to him and Ill add the salt. Should I treat with bleach till then?
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

6. Back To Top    #6

Bleach is fine. You could also use trichlor tablets. Trichlor adds chlorine & CYA and also lowers the PH, all of which you want when you have fresh plaster.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School