NJ - Pool Newbie - Advice Welcome

Heckpools said:
i understand that... I wasn't trying to sell anyone a nature 2 just giving my experience with them. You say that 1ppm wasn't enough with that cya level, then how come all the pools were fine? year after year? Im a firm believer on trial and error, not what you can "read" in a book.. Most of these nature 2 pools that i serviced is going back a few years while i was employed for another company.. every single pool followed the same protocol, and every pool looked the same. Crystal clear, soft silky water, no staining, no GREEN DOGS :shock: poor fella lol.. no algae.. just a beautiful looking pool! Im all about saving $$. Is a nature 2 NEEDED? noway.. I just personally like them, and so do my customers that use it...

example.. Ive read many times that baquacil is great! " ive used it 30 years with no problems" well... I wouldnt use it if it was free! lol.. Ive never walked into a backyard and saw a crystal clear, beautiful baquacil pool.. doesnt mean they dont exsist.. i just havent found one.

To each his own! :goodjob:

Just to elaborate a little...when I used the ionizer, my water was 98% of the time clear. I never had a true greenie "outbreak". A couple times when I opened I had cloudy water, twice I had a pink/purple slime on the walls upon opening. When these instances occurred, I would shock the pool and take care of it. About year 2 or 3 I developed an organic stain at the bottom of the pool, and it began to spread all over the floor. Brushing didn't help, and I was told it was Black Algae by a pool store worker who viewed a photo that I showed him. I would treat it for BA, using their recommended product & shock product, and it would fade at shock level, only to return when the FC dropped back down to the recommended 1ppm. So even though I was routinely shocking (which MPS, Cal-Hypo AND Dichlor), my everyday FC was not high enough to prevent the organic staining.

Why your N2 pools haven't had apparent issues? I would guess it's the weekly shocking, which takes care of potential problems as they develop. The copper does work to inhibit algae. The issue remains virus and sanitary one, as the N2 doesn't kill these things quickly enough. Richard explains this very well. If you can maintain the copper levels low enough, some may be lucky to prevent the side effects of high copper.

For whatever reason, our copper level began to rise (perhaps the supplemental use of algaecide products at winterizing per the pool store) and we began to see the green hair and staining show up. The high copper level did nothing to prevent the organic stain from spreading.

On several occassions our unit malfunctioned, leading to other problems. I'm not saying the ionizer didn't do what it is made to do, but for me it simply wasn't worth the added expense. Now that I understand how they work (which NO pool store employees could explain, btw) and that just maintaining a proper FC level would prevent the issues I was experiencing, I switched to BBB. Within weeks the organic staining dissappeared.

I had to do numerous partial drains to deal with the too high CYA that came from the trichlor 'bacpacs' in the Frog. Eventually my numbers stabilized, the green hair problems were over and I now spend less than $75 a year maintaining my pool, which is less than I used to spend on JUST one annual mineral cartridge for the Frog. Throw in the shock bags, trichlor bac pacs, ph up, etc. etc etc and I was spending over $500 a summer on the pool. I don't miss it at all, and my pool is much easier to maintain than it EVER was with the frog. :wink:

Thx everyone - that is a boat load of information and I will certainly continue to do my own "homework". In the short term im going to push for all pentair products and increase my warranty to 3 yrs!!! - as far as SWG - vs - N2, I have to see if its in the budget.

one last question that might help make that decision...
Am I correct is saying its easier to go from N2 to SWG??
If I underatand it correctly, the cost will be about the same for the install. All I need is to add the salt. However going from SWG to N2 will be harder as I would have to remove all the water from the pool??

Dominick said:
Thx everyone - that is a boat load of information and I will certainly continue to do my own "homework". In the short term im going to push for all pentair products and increase my warranty to 3 yrs!!! - as far as SWG - vs - N2, I have to see if its in the budget.

one last question that might help make that decision...
Am I correct is saying its easier to go from N2 to SWG??
If I underatand it correctly, the cost will be about the same for the install. All I need is to add the salt. However going from SWG to N2 will be harder as I would have to remove all the water from the pool??

HI again, just want to make sure that you understand the N2 still requires chlorine - it's not an alternative or a replacement for an SWG. All it does it put metals in your pool to inhibit the growth of algae, etc. it is not a "stand alone" sanitizer and you'll still need chlorine in one form or another. This was my point about it being an unneccessary added expense, it does do something but that something is just "an extra" if you will, you still need chlorine via swg, bleach, tablet form, whatever.

Heckpools said:
Ive always kept the chlorine level at at 1ppm, shocked with mono each week... and kept a close eye on ph.. and the pools all looked amazing!

I guess if you dont keep a close eye on the ph and it drops, you can have some metal staining... but if you have a heater with a copper exchanger your up the creek without a paddle anyway lol..
This discussion on Nature2 should probably be moved to The Deep End or other forum area since it's a distraction to the OP's original questions.

Metal staining normally occurs when either the metal ion concentration gets too high or the pH (or TA or CYA) gets too high. You usually do not get metal staining from a low pH directly. If the pH gets very low, such that copper gets corroded from a heat exchanger or where stainless steel corrodes into iron ions, then the concentration of metal ions can get high enough to cause staining, especially if the pH is adjusted back towards normal levels.

At high concentrations of copper and/or at higher pH, one can get green copper hydroxide or black copper oxide. With normal to high TA one can get green copper carbonate. With higher CYA, one can get purple copper cyanurate.

It is for these reasons that metal ion systems are not promoted on this forum. Since one can use an appropriate FC level relative to the CYA level to prevent algae, there is not a need for metal ion systems when mostly using unstabilized chlorine. If one really wants to use copper ions to prevent algae (instead of using PolyQuat 60 which is another algicide alternative one can add weekly, though again not really necessary), then one must carefully measure the copper ion concentration and manage the pH to prevent staining. Every pool's dilution rates will be different so one cannot apply a simple dosing rule to every situation. Since pool stains are a pain to remove, you have to ask yourself "do you feel lucky?".

I ripped out my Nature2 the first year. Cartridge exploded while I was traveling and spewed all its little metal balls out the returns which then rolled all the way down to the main drain and thence got sucked into the lint basket. The metals all deposited nice black stains all over nice new pool. Drain and acid wash required to remove; acid start-up was not enough.

I would never put one in my pool; the $100 per season is better spent on bleach.

Very exciting

Builder called and schedule the "mark out" for this Friday

Thanks to TFP, here is my list of questions and changes; (I'm assuming some of these changes will cost me - lol)

-Switch Jandy Remote to Pentair Easy Touch and get the 3 yr warranty
-Ensure Im getting a variable speed pump
-Nature 2 out - SWCG in!!
-Change DE filter to Cartridge filter to go with SWCG
-Add additional LED light
-Additional swim out

Thanks again for all your help!!

Attachments

• poollayout.pdf
    94.7 KB · Views: 13
Dominick said:
-Add additional LED light
Just noticed your addition of a LED light --- that's the first thing I noticed when I saw your pool design layout and something I wish I had insisted on in my pool. The current placement of lights looks good... perhaps the extra LED light should be facing away from the deck (house) on the other side of the spa near the shallow-end steps. My 16x29' pool would have benefited from another SPA-sized LED light to illuminate a portion that falls in shadow at night. If your pool is substantially larger you probably want the full-sized pool LED. Either way it looks like you're on track; I'm sure the pool will look great!

Thx Polyvue

Any idea what a reasonable price would be for the light and the swim out? I fear this is where I'll be nickel and dimed to death. I know I'll have to pay for the extras, but I want to come to the table with reasonable numbers in my head.

The PB already quoted me $1500 for the SWCG, however I need to ask about a credit back for the N2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dominick said:
Thx Polyvue

Any idea what a reasonable price would be for the light and the swim out? I fear this is where I'll be nickel and dimed to death. I know I'll have to pay for the extras, but I want to come to the table with reasonable numbers in my head.
I certainly understand your desire to constrain the budget. Things like extra swimouts (in a gunite pool) and one extra light ARE nickel and dimes to the builder, unless he/she has already given you a low-ball price and is trying to make up a bit of profit. Really nothing wrong with that... that's just the way business is done, but don't be led to pay outrageous amounts for simple additions. I don't know off hand how much an additional LED costs, but you should be able to google the product and get some idea of his/her cost and add on a small mark-up (for labor to install, etc.) A bit of extra re-bar for a small swim-out in the planning stage shouldn't result in a $5000 extra fee, but $500 is certainly fair. Everything is negotiable. I planned on a 5% project cost overrun and ended up paying the GC about 10% over contract. That's pretty good, actually. (I got a bit more concrete and made some last minute upgrades.)

bk406 said:
Dominick said:
The PB already quoted me $1500 for the SWCG,

You mentioned pentair easytouch in an earlier post. Is the SWCG a pentair? If this is an IC-20/40 with an Easytouch control box, thats a really good price.

Not certain - their website speaks of the Aquapure system, but I'll find out definitely this friday (weather permiting). I'll be pushing for all pentair product regardless for the addition warranty

Polyvue,
thx for the advice. I completely agree with your point esp since you only get one shot to do some items. the delta between $500 and $5000 makes the additional swim-out a "no brainer". I fear he comes in at something more like $1500-$2000, which make the decision a bit tougher.

My only caution on ebay is just make sure you deal with someone reputable.

Couple other things to condsider. 1) When you buy 3 or more Pentair products, you get a longer warranty (i.e. IC-40, an easytouch, and a pump would qualify for a 3 year instead of the 1 year.
2) A lot of builders may not install a product bought from a third party like that. Of course, YMMV. When you buy equipment through a builder, you might pay a bit more, but if thebuilder is god, they will stand behind it and/or help you out with issues a bit better than if you buy third party. Again, YMMV.

Well just met with the PB and laid out the design. Its very exciting however i was given what I think is a small curve ball

My one concern; He mentioned that they no longer use Pentair equipment and the we will be going with a full suite of Jandy Equipment. Any feedback on Jandy DE filters and Pumps great appreciated!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.