Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: wiring and Suntouch and intelliflo VF

1. Back To Top    #1

wiring and Suntouch and intelliflo VF

Hi ,

Ive bought an intelliflo VF and want to get a suntouch to control the solar heating , to run external programme 1 on the VF do I use the AUX 3 on the suntouch or the Com port which has yellow and green outputs for the Comm cable to the pump ?

Just that instructions say to use Aux 3 to control the 4 speed pump , but dont mention the VF thou the Suntouch solar pamphlet does say its supports the VF .

thanx Daved
    7 meter by 2 Meter pebblecrete , VF intelliflo , Pentair ECO-CHLOR 25 , 5 helicol Sunx 40 solar panels & a Associated controls solar controller with an intellicom 3 to control the VF and relay to switch to valves .

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: wiring and Suntouch and intelliflo VF

The SunTouch connects to an IntelliFlo through the com port, see page 30 of this manual for a wiring diagram.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok my Vf manual doesnt have that section , but it should work the same , thanx for the quick reply Jasonlion .

cheers daved
    7 meter by 2 Meter pebblecrete , VF intelliflo , Pentair ECO-CHLOR 25 , 5 helicol Sunx 40 solar panels & a Associated controls solar controller with an intellicom 3 to control the VF and relay to switch to valves .

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi again ,

been doing more research on this and found this post in [url] http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/po ... 13341.html[url] , repair guy said "On the contray, the suntouch WILL control your VF. As soon as you plug in the RS485 cable, it will convert it to a 4x160 and you'll lose the features of your VF. It can be reversed if you change your mind. And, Intellitouch is the only direct connect automation system for the VF but not the only automation that will control it. You can control it on any system with an IntelliCom." and that vevn after removing the comm cable it will stay a VS and needs to reset thru a backdoor program .

Is this so will plugging the suntouch into the VF make it a VS and I lose all the VF functions ?
    Pentair websites Suntouch pdf says support for the VF , I was told it is , I just need it to run an external program 1 on the VF .
    Has anyone got one running with it ?

thanks David

5. Back To Top    #5

While the VF is plugged into the SunTouch, you will only be able to access VS features, but when you unplug the comm cable or go into service mode the VF features will reappear on the pumps control panel.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok well , so I would lose filter mode , Vacuum and the ablity to set Gpm and only have speed settings ? . If I just use the suntouch to open the solar valve the VF will increase to push the water up the 20 foot or so to the solarpanels , but Ive heard the VF can be finicky doing this ? . Guess I will just have to try and see .

edit ; just being looking at the intellicomm II would this conected to the solar valve actuator rely on the suntouch work keeping the VF functions ? my reading of the instructions seems to infer this .

Thanks JasonLion you must be kept busy here .

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, if you get an IntelliComm II, you can retain your VF features and still control the pump from the SunTouch. If you haven't bought the system yet, you might want to consider getting an EasyTouch system instead of a SunTouch and IntelliComm II, that gives you direct control of the VF features from the automation system. With the SunTouch & IntelliComm II, you get up to four modes on the pump, which need to be programmed on the pump control panel. The SunTouch can then switch between the four modes. With an EasyTouch you get complete control of the speed/mode directly on the remote.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks JL
    yes Ive bought the suntouch cuase on the Pentair website it said compatible with VF , which I suppose it is but thet dont tell you it cripples it like that !! . still least the IntelliComm II Interface Adapter isnt too expensive , an EasyTouch system just seemed so much more than I needed .