Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Swimmers Ear

1. Back To Top    #1

Swimmers Ear

Hello all,
    I know this is way off topic but never have had it until last week, and man does it hurt. What are some suggestions?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Earplugs, little or reduced times diving. My DH gets it and it seems to be more often when he jumps or dives in - force? He still gets it sometimes when he doesn't but more when he does. Painful! He does try the earplugs and they help.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hopefully you are getting treatment for it. Don't get your ears wet until you are healed.

To help prevent it, earplugs, or mix 1 part vinegar with 1 part alcohol and irrigate your ears with one of those squeezy bulbs after swimming.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Make sure you are maintaining the proper chlorine for your cya and you don't have any combined chlorine, seems as if you got some nasties in your pool that made it to your ear

5. Back To Top    #5
    I've had bacterial infection swimmers ear, not at all fun.

I've also had pain in my ear from diving deep and impacting wax in the ear canal, not at all fun.

The pain was the same with both.

If you have pool water chemistry problems, it might be true swimmers ear.

If you pool water is a-ok, look at ear wax.

6. Back To Top    #6

My 13yr old daughter gets it every year it seems. She has been using the vinegar/alcohol drops and they seem to help but once the pain starts the doctor needs a call for antibotics. The sooner the better.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Funny, I was actually going to post on this topic myself. It is better now, but I had a BAD earache for a while. My jaw was actually hurting on that side. . . I bought some earache drops at Wally World and they helped. Never had any swelling or drainage, but it was quite painful.

I also bought earplugs but don't always remember to use them. I do use the vinegar-alcohol mixture on those occasions.

Swimmer's ear isn't necessarily from bacteria in the pool; just the moisture in your ears makes them a very appealing place for bacteria from other sources.
    ~Jules~

My pool: INDOOR 13x27 rectangular fiberglass, built ~2001, BBB, TA-60 sand filter, Hayward two speed pump (1 hp/0.33 hp), 3/4 hp booster pump for solar heater
    Taylor K-2006 test

8. Back To Top    #8

DD6 gets swimmers ear frequently. The alcohol/vinegar mixture helps avoid it, but don't try that if the ear is even slightly sore, it won't be a happy event! Her doctor also says to carefully dry her ears with a warm blow dryer after swimming. Once you get swimmers ear, it's time for antibiotic drops to clear it up. The pain of swimmers ear is miserable.

Chris

9. Back To Top    #9

Everytime I go underwater the water in my right ear has a hard time exiting... even the blow dryer trick never seems to work. Now I use ear plugs whenever I dive in... kind of a pain though.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Yep, the doc told DH that ANY water in his ear can cause bacteria that naturally exists in there to flourish and some people are just more likely than others to suffer from it. Does not have so much to do every time with the bacteria in the water, but the water feeds the bacteria in your ear.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

11. Back To Top    #11
    i am sure that same doctor keeps his fc at 1-2 ppm as "recommended" don't always trust the doctors. you probably have something in your pool

12. Back To Top    #12

NWMNMom is correct. Swimmers ear is a result of bacteria that is always present on skin surfaces being able to overgrow in the warm, moist environment of the ear canal. If you take measures to dry the ear canal, the bacteria don't multiply as readily. My daughter got swimmers ear from bathtub water before we ever owned a pool.

13. Back To Top    #13

Re: Swimmers Ear

ARRRGGHHHH!!!
    I have had it for 3 solid days now. Just went to the Dr. today as it got worse. Have to say the pain is bad, but the ITCHING IS MURDER!!!!!!! feels like a creepy crawly in there and its all I can do to not start digging for it.
    Oh well, get to watch the family enjoy my hard work from the sidelines for a week.
    Oh, and lay off the ipod buds for sure. Also disinfect them before using again.
    15' Intex frame set
    4600 Gallon
    2650gph Intex Sand Filter
    NightLighter 35W
    Red Neck fountain

14. Back To Top    #14

I got it regularly, starting a few years ago, and frequently in the winter when pool was closed. Antibiotics were of limited help and plugged up the ears. I leaned that putting in hydrogen peroxide (like an inch in a dropper) for 5 min. on each side twice a day clears it up pretty well. This year I have been swimming almost every day since May and have not had it once. I think the peroxide scared it away.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

15. Back To Top    #15

I've had ear infections pretty much all my life even from showering. I had an old country doctor tell me once to put peroxide in it as soon as it started feeling funny (not really hurting yet) and it'd clear it up. I've been doing that for a long time and it works great. I'm very careful now to dry my ears after getting them wet so it only happens rarely now but the peroxide still works.

It feels funny when you put it in there but it doesn't hurt any more. Once you try it you'll never use anything else. Just be sure to dry your ears by laying on your side till it all drains out. A warm blow dryer works after the peroxide treatment too.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

All of these suggestions are good and I've used all of them. The main thing is to do something after after water exposure. I, too, have been plagued most of my life with ear aches. My mother always had to use cotton in her ears when showering. I inherited her ears I think.

When I need to get going somewhere after being in the water I use the "Swimmers Ears" that I have to use for the dogs daily. I have my own bottle for me that I keep in the bathroom separate from the dog cabinet in kitchen. It is an antiseptic drying gel (and deodorant --- mostly needed for dogs of course). Vet told me to NOT use the dog drying powders. He told me why but I can't remember.

The three floppy eared dogs have had two bouts of ear infections from not drying them well (it is really hard to do since dog ear canals are so deep and they are in and out of the pool from early morning till dusk) after being in and out of the pool. I'm supposed to do it twice a day but I get lazy. That laziness can be expensive. The infections are really expensive to treat (we get the antibiotics cheap but the antibiotic ear drops are very expensive) and it sometimes takes a couple of months to totally clear up. BTW.... Vet warns to NOT use the Swimmers Ear for the dogs if there is any indication of infections starting.

Vet's tech also told me that they have a hard time getting it in the winter so to be sure to stock up in fall. The dogs still swim in Oct. Not me though.

I had some fancy ear plugs, custom made, and cute swirly colors. After two years I still can't get into the habit of using them. My ear canals are real narrow and deep (I'm part dog) so the adult OTC ones are too big and the children's ones are usually too little.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

17. Back To Top    #17

Man am I glad I found this thread, I got swimmers ear a few years ago swimming in a hotel swimming pool with the kids and it always seemed to come back occassionally but only in the left ear. The last few days it came back with a vengeance and was so bad last night I couldn't sleep, I had been using antibiotic ear drops to clear it up but was thinking I need to see a doctor TODAY because of the pain.

Since I couldn't sleep last night I found this thread and decided to try the hydrogen peroxide, the hissing and popping while it worked was a bit unnerving but today I am pain free and slept for 5 hours this afternoon.

To me this is like a miracle cure, absolutley amazing how fast and well it worked!

Thanks you, thank you, thank you!
    55 Kilolitre in-ground 18'X36' vinyl lined kidney shape, 1HP pump, Jacuzzi 250lb sand filter, RayPak Delta T 200K BTU natural gas heater. New PoolWerks "Blue Diffusion" liner on May 26th-2011

18. Back To Top    #18

DH has on and off bouts and he rarely gets water in his ears. He says the itching is what drives him the craziest. He orders prescription drops at the drugstore. The tiny bottle runs around $70 but at least there is no doctor's office visit cost. Thank goodness the bottle lasts a long time and it doesn't take as much for a human ear as it does for doggie ears.

(I think I need to seriously look into doggie medical insurance.)

The doggie prescription drops run $44 for 15 grams. I use a little >1 bottle per dog per week per dog for weeks (the two bouts the three floppy eared dogs had were 8 weeks the first time and 6 weeks the second) along with oral antibiotics (relatively cheap). DH's 5 gram bottle lasts for over a month. BTW.... it is really difficult to keep the doggies out of the pool for any length of time. Ear infections would clear much faster staying away from water.

Prevention is the best treatment even if it is a hassle.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine