Privacy Fence Tree

dunginhawk

Bronze Supporter
Jul 10, 2018
CLIVE/IA
Good afternoon... So I am looking at expanding my options for a privacy screen between me and my south neighbors. Its more just to make our oasis coming this spring that much more private.
Historically ive been focused heavily on Emerald Green Arborvitaes for their full screen features, next to no trimming/maintenance and decent growth rate.

However I am looking to have a screen fairly well established by 2020. I understand this spring/summer/fall will be a wash.. Nothing is going to grow quick enough to thicken up this year, but id like something that can start to really fill in , in 2020.
I think if I bought EGA (emerald green arborvitaes) the cost of mature (10') trees would crush my budget, given I need 30+ of them. If i can get 5-6 footers at less than $100 per, perhaps thats still viable, but im not sure how much privacy I get even in 2020.

So i want to open up my search to something else, if it makes sense.

Requirements -

- Low maintenance - little or non. I really dont want to have to trim something, even twice a year. One reason I think hollys are out.
- 10-15 ft height. I may put something bigger (green giant arborvitae) in the corner where privacy isnt as important. but for the wall, I need shorter 10-15ft
- Full or mostly full screen (cant see through) by 2020

So what could fit the bill for me? Ive thought about doing two rows of smaller trees staggered to create a solid wall sooner, but thats just more money anyway..

Really stuck here.. I fully expect to spend $3-5$k just on this tree line... I just want to make sure its right.
thanks

Capture.jpg

I will search, but may be limited, given im in zone 5... Iowa :)
yeah, this one is not for my zone.
heteroclada%20screen.JPG

basically there may be only 1 that is in zone 5... and its not idea... man that was a good idea tho :)

Do you have deer around? Deer like to eat Arborvitae in the winter. I need to wrap my arborvitae in burlap for the winter to protect it from the deer. Otherwise the trees look like they were mowed at the height of a deers head.

Arborvitae also need sun. The areas that are shaded will thin out.

So these will be on the inside of a fence... a 6' fence... so while a deep can leap over and eat, I dont see it happening... We have deer around, but not a ton. Usually 5 around the area that have plenty of stuff to eat in difference stream beds etc...
I think as long as I plant them on the inside of the fence 2' or so, if they want to stand in my neighbors yard and go prune crazy on the non visible side, i think im ok with that :)
These will all be in the sun. Direct more or less :) no worries there.

Found a local nursery for 6' trees at $129 per (no warranty) or $189 with warranty ... i wouldnt get a warranty, I expect to lose a couple, but that cost is high.
I figure 6' trees have a 2' spread, so if I plant 3 feet apart, I should fill in within a year or two.

Still on the search for alternatives. Because 30 of those is $3870. Without planting, which Im guessing that means me :)

If you get thick heavy snow fall it can lay on the top of the thin arborvitae and crack them down the middle. My landscaper put steel rods down the middle and tied branches to the rods to provide support.

And when they get to a mature height you need to top them every other year or so.

All this just to say arborvitae are not “no maintenance “.

Deer in IA must be less aggressive than in NJ. It takes 10’ fences to keep NJ deer out from where they can smell deer food. I have setup Blink cameras to see how deer and wildlife are getting past fencing to eat landscaping at night.

0D38642C-977A-4A36-AA85-F25B788E803C.jpg

Oh I dont doubt they can, and likely WILL jump our fence, im just saying if they can eat it (its steel not solid) from the other side by sticking their head through the slats that seems like the path of least resistance.
I have a smart routine I am thinking about though as well.
Deep trips blink camera. All lights go on , siren pulses a few times, sounds of dogs barking ensue.
If that doesnt work Im rural enough a 22 would

I have a smart routine I am thinking about though as well.
Deep trips blink camera. All lights go on , siren pulses a few times, sounds of dogs barking ensue.
If that doesnt work Im rural enough a 22 would

Tie it into your sprinkler system and turn on water jets in the area. It will not wake you up at 3am when the deer wander in.

Good afternoon... So I am looking at expanding my options for a privacy screen between me and my south neighbors. Its more just to make our oasis coming this spring that much more private.
Historically ive been focused heavily on Emerald Green Arborvitaes for their full screen features, next to no trimming/maintenance and decent growth rate.

However I am looking to have a screen fairly well established by 2020. I understand this spring/summer/fall will be a wash.. Nothing is going to grow quick enough to thicken up this year, but id like something that can start to really fill in , in 2020.
I think if I bought EGA (emerald green arborvitaes) the cost of mature (10') trees would crush my budget, given I need 30+ of them. If i can get 5-6 footers at less than $100 per, perhaps thats still viable, but im not sure how much privacy I get even in 2020.

So i want to open up my search to something else, if it makes sense.

Requirements -

- Low maintenance - little or non. I really dont want to have to trim something, even twice a year. One reason I think hollys are out.
- 10-15 ft height. I may put something bigger (green giant arborvitae) in the corner where privacy isnt as important. but for the wall, I need shorter 10-15ft
- Full or mostly full screen (cant see through) by 2020

So what could fit the bill for me? Ive thought about doing two rows of smaller trees staggered to create a solid wall sooner, but thats just more money anyway..

Really stuck here.. I fully expect to spend $3-5$k just on this tree line... I just want to make sure its right.
thanks

Go on Amazon and search for "artificial hedge". They sell these panels of hedge that you can hang on a fence. We have used some of them on our fence, and it does not look bad at all, and may be a good temporary solution while your trees grow in.

Tie it into your sprinkler system and turn on water jets in the area. It will not wake you up at 3am when the deer wander in.

Yeah, I havent researched sprinkler automation yet... my guess is it just replaces the box inside your garage with a wifi/smart enabled one, am i right?
There should be some add on attachment sold somewhere that makes an older (mine is new, digital) one smart compatible.

ok, shiz, i just found this... amazing Smart Irrigation Controller | Gro From Scotts

Looks like the rachio is the one for me... IFTTT integration, which I could call an app json to smart things.. It should do everything i need :)
Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Picea pungens fastigiata. Columnar Blue Spruce. You won’t like the price and perhaps not the growth rate, but it’s a really solid choice for a narrow evergreen in cold and snowy locations.

I was quoted $195 each for 4-5’ specimens two years ago. I originally went with Leyland Cypress. Not sorry I did but am taking them down in three sections after 20 years. I replaced the first third three years ago and replaced them with Juniperis chinensis ‘Spearmint’, Spearmint Juniper. The next third goes down this spring and is being replaced with the columnar blue spruce.

All of mine are spaced 8’ apart. I have time.

Reactions: JessB412
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.