test results 12/15/18 and questions

Oceansol

May 26, 2015
Oceanside, California
I just tested, and here are my results:

pH=8.2
FC=12 drops=6ppm
CC=42 drops=1025ppm (draining soon, waiting for service to scrub scale)
TA=11 drops=110ppm
CYA=30ppm
salt (from sensor) 3500ppm
water temp: 56ºF
CSI=.86

[fill water CH=250ppm, TA=110]

draining and filling will solve the salt, CH, and CYA, and hopefully CSI. I am waiting as I find a service to clean scale from my tile.

My question is about the test kit (I'm using TF100). I've been letting the various cylinders dry before sealing up the case. Is that good, bad, or unnecessary?

Also, it seems like the pH test should be more accurate, or have a higher number range. I'm kind of off the chart. I guess I need to bring it down considerably to see the results. I guess I'm saying the test doesn't seem to me to have enough 'fidelity', if that is the right word.

Thanks

Last edited:
Note: Calcium Hardness is CH, not CC.

You should lower the pH to 7.2 to prevent more scale even though you are going to drain soon.

Yup, i just added 33oz as pool math told me! :D

- - - Updated - - -

You should lower the pH to 7.2 to prevent more scale even though you are going to drain soon.

Will getting pH down help reduce scale?

Last edited:
The pH range is adequate for pool water as you need to be below 8 and above 7. Rinsing your test tubes is important no need to dry them simply leave them open during storage. Draining will lower your CH to the concentration of your fill water. Over time your CH will rise due to evaporation and refill and avoid using Calcium Chloide once you have your CH ppm in the zone. Use Pool Math to monitor your CSI and adjust your water chemistry to avoid scaling or etching.

Sorry, James, I misread your post. You are correct, I meant CH not CC, also my CC is 0 (zero), for the record!

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

A further question: Today my pH is down to 7.5. If I take it even lower will it begin to remove already deposited scale? Like in pipes, solar panels, etc?

If not, I'm wondering if I should buy a commercial scale reducer and apply it BEFORE I drain and refill to reduce CH, so I don't have the "reduced scale" and chemical in my new fresh water.

Thanks!

Scale does not really dissolve very easily.

You would have to lower the pH to levels that would be corrosive to everything.

A no-drain acid wash can work to reduce scale but you have to understand the risks.

Sulfamic acid might help if you want to try it.

How bad is the scale?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.