PebbleTec Crack in Spa

Jul 3, 2018
Temecula
Hello All,

We bought our house last year and this particular crack was harder to see then. Doesn't seem to be leaking, I haven't noticed any difference in the water level. It's located in the spa, where the seating contours down. The pool was built in 2004 and I believe the Pebble Tec warranty is non transferrable? I have read the other threads and they seem to use A/B epoxy or Pool Putty? What works best for this application? Suggestions on where to buy?
I have not contacted an authorized Pebble Tec repair company yet because I'm just assuming they will just do what the forums have suggested or charge me an arm and a leg for a small patch. I'll pay for the company repair if its the right solution. I just want it done right.

Any advice on how to proceed with this repair?

Thank you!!!

View attachment 89077View attachment 89078
IMG_0178.JPGIMG_0179.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0176.JPG
    IMG_0176.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0177.JPG
    IMG_0177.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 99
Any patch will be more unsightly than what you have now. If its not leaking and doesn't seem like the plaster is hollow/delaminating then leave it be.

In order to avoid looking at it and feeling it when you're in the spa I suggest wearing beer goggles and keeping both hands full at all times :cheers:

This pic is why you leave it alone:
dbtgallery.php

Kim:kim:

I haven't given it the hollow test, I'm assuming it's like trying to find a stud with your knuckles?
I don't really care about appearance too much, I just don't want this crack getting bigger and more unsightly. It has grown a little bit in one years time.
Its only after the beer googles come off that this bothers me, wait until tonight and I won't care very much!

The patch Kim posted is actually a very good one. If you'd like to see the typical patch I'll gladly show you mine in my spa....which I can see from just about anywhere when I look at the pool :rant:

The previous homeowner thought he was doing me a favor :roll:

Cosmetically, I see your point, it will look better without a patch/filler but I feel like I would be asking for a larger patch down the road if I don't address this now.
I think Kim's patch, although it seems much bigger, isn't that bad. It's smiling back at me!

Cosmetically, I see your point, it will look better without a patch/filler but I feel like I would be asking for a larger patch down the road if I don't address this now.
I think Kim's patch, although it seems much bigger, isn't that bad. It's smiling back at me!

As I mentioned that patch is actually very good and that outcome should not be expected.

It looks like you had Caribbean Blue P/T but as you can see the plaster has faded to grey...how does the Pebble Tech patching expert match 15 year old faded plaster? :scratch:

If the crack bugs you enough then look into having the entire spa P/T chipped out and redone. Surprisingly doing this wouldn't be a whole lot more than just the patch

Look at this:

dbtgallery.php

Notice how it has changed. This pool was a TFP from the very beginning. We all had a hand in it's design and he has done a great job maintaining it. At the point in the pics the pool was only 4 yrs old.

B, this is Matt's pool.

Thanks for your responses Brian and Kim. I am a first time pool owner but very handy with repairs, as I am a woodworker for a living. It doesn't bother me from a visual standpoint, I just keep noticing it and it seems to be getting slowly bigger. Naturally, I feel as if it is a problem that should be taken care of. I don't want to pay to have the whole thing redone. I guess what I'm hearing is that it's not an issue and if you can live with it, leave it alone. I'll try....woodworking has made me very particular about appearance. Beer googles all the time?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Look at this:

dbtgallery.php

Notice how it has changed. This pool was a TFP from the very beginning. We all had a hand in it's design and he has done a great job maintaining it. At the point in the pics the pool was only 4 yrs old.

this is Matt's pool.

If this is JoyfulNoise's pic after only 4 yrs., I hope he invoked the warranty on the builder. That's insane. What caused the p-tec to fail so prematurely, esp if he's a TFP maintainer of appropriate chemicals.

Like Irish, it's very, very hard for me to leave something alone if it's not in a perfect or near perfect status, esp if it's aesthetically bugging me all the time. If it were me, I would get a quote from the best pebble-tech installer/repair comp and obtain both a quote and ask them to show me some B4 & Afters w my exact finish. And, if truly well done, write that in as a condition of the contract...just my non-beer-google .02 worth - Either way Irish, good luck

If this is JoyfulNoise's pic after only 4 yrs., I hope he invoked the warranty on the builder. That's insane. What caused the p-tec to fail so prematurely, esp if he's a TFP maintainer of appropriate chemicals.

Like Irish, it's very, very hard for me to leave something alone if it's not in a perfect or near perfect status, esp if it's aesthetically bugging me all the time. If it were me, I would get a quote from the best pebble-tech installer/repair comp and obtain both a quote and ask them to show me some B4 & Afters w my exact finish. And, if truly well done, write that in as a condition of the contract...just my non-beer-google .02 worth - Either way Irish, good luck

Matt had a small crack that he had warranty repaired by the builder. When they chipped it out, this was the area that had delaminated.

I wish the warranty was still in the picture but I believe they are non transferrable. I'll see about getting a quote. I'm just assuming it will be $500-$1000, because everything is super expensive these days. Epoxy is probably less than $50.

The first pic Kim posted is after the repair. The one chipped out was during the repair.

I'll look for the thread

- - - Updated - - -

I wish the warranty was still in the picture but I believe they are non transferrable. I'll see about getting a quote. I'm just assuming it will be $500-$1000, because everything is super expensive these days. Epoxy is probably less than $50.

I would think $1500 for the repair...redo the entire spa for $2,000

now I have the whole scenario which makes more sense.

I thought he had a before picture but I guess not...

You would think that these plaster guys know when something has been the sun for X yrs, and CL too, that it's going to fade. So, they should know that a fix needs to be lighter than the original color. Hope Irish finds good solution

I think that's obvious and they understand that but there is no way to know what or how to make a matching color. The mixed plaster is darker, dries lighter and then darkens up when it gets submerged. The existing plaster is much darker when submerged and lightens up or even effervesces when it dries

So, my pool guy, who has proven to be trustworthy, gave me 2 options. He has a pool plaster guy, that he has used many times, could come out and repair for around $200-400 probably. This guy is the guy pool builders use, so this is just side cash I’m thinking, but apparently his work is fantastic. OR he said I could use POOL PATCH, $60ish, and see if it works. His luck has been 50/50. Ron from Pebble Tec gave me a company that gets really bad reviews, so I think that’s out. Thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.