recurring algae problem solved, an FYI

Pogo

May 8, 2009
Hello all. I have not posted in a while. But, I have received a lot of good help here and so I post this now in hope of maybe helping somebody else in return. I doubt this is a new or maybe not even unusual issue. I don't know but I haven't heard it before though. If it's a common thing after all, sorry. but just in case, here goes...

We have a 16'x32', in-ground, vinyl lined pool. Basic chlorine system with sand filter. Due in a large part to help received from here, I have enjoyed a number of relatively trouble free pool maintenance. But, this past year, it seemed a never ending algae battle. It would turn green, and we'd clear it. In a few days, green again. It never stayed clear more than a week, maybe a few days more, no matter what I did.
The only thing new was a change in filter sand. But, there was nothing about that, that would add up to the problems we were having.

Finally we found the problem, too late for much of the season regrettably. It was a very simple thing, really. A gasket seal beneath the, don't remember the proper name of it, operation selector, call it, had worn out an was leaking through. There was no leaking outside the system to suggest the problem. It was per-chance we found it. We changed that and the problem ceased!

If this is just old news, then sorry for the intrusion. If it helps even just one person, then it is worth the effort. All I know it was like to drive me to distraction. I was amazed at how little a thing was at the root of the matter.

A gasket seal beneath the, don't remember the proper name of it, operation selector, call it, had worn out an was leaking through.
That sounds as if your multiport valve's spider gasket was bad. If that was the case, and water was seeping-out to waste without you knowing, your FC, CYA, and other chemical levels would be constantly impacted by the water replacement. A bit challenging to maintain the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] when that is happening. Good you discovered the leak. See you next season! :swim:

Thanks for the update. It is interesting to find another impact on a pools sanitation system and how seemingly small malfunctions can tip the balance and allow algae to multiply.

Do you have an auto-fill? Large water bill??? If it was really caused by a leaky valve, how did you not notice your pool was thirsty? If none of that is true, I highly doubt your valve was the root of the problem.

Mods. I realize this is an old topic. but, it may get reviewed by others and my answer to one comment below has bearing to the whole. Whether or not to let it ride is your call.
Reply to jatkinson; I don't have auto-fill and water usage was not the problem. As I stated in my op, the problem was what seemed "a never ending algae battle."
THAT was the problem and, replacing the gasket solved it.

Gaskets dont kill algae! Unless the water that leaked went into a reservoir with algae, then back to the pool. Which may occur if your waste line was full of algae and when turning the pump off then it syphoned back into the pool. Congrats on fixing it.

Felipe

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.