new pool start up questions

Jun 23, 2018
FL
Hi all,
I posted over the summer about a possible pool build and it is now complete! I am diving into chemicals and took water for our first test to compare my home numbers (using a cheaper kit provided, TF 100 is in the mail) and I was spot on, woohoo! My question is: I've read so much about the nightmare that is too high CYA so I'm hesitant to add it, but it tested at a 1 in our pool. We have an ozone system so while we're currently using the chlorine tablets, we don't use many so I'm guessing won't be getting too much CYA from them built up (?). I've read so much about using liquid chlorine/bleach and thought we'd go that route, but I didn't say a word about it to the guy that did our pool school but he specifically told us not to use liquid chlorine (because the plaster is curing?).

Results:
FC .6 (ozone system so we're only slightly low and chlorine tablets just went into the system a day and a half ago)
pH 8.6 (added 1/4 gallon muriatic acid after the test)
TA 90
CH 138 (we were told not to mess with this yet as the plaster cures?)
CYA 1

tl;dr version: should I add CYA to my new pool or wait a bit? Is liquid chlorine bad for new plaster?

Thanks in advance, everyone! Looking forward to learning more from you all!

You have to decide if you want to follow TFP methods or guy who did your pool methods. Trying to mix them will just cause confusion and unkown results. TFP methods are based on science and chemistry and successful with the many members here.

If you are going to continuously use pucks you will eventually have a high CYA problem.

Liquid chlorine is not bad for new plaster. Just pour it in by a return where there is good circulation and stir the area with a pole after adding.

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and Trouble Free Pool School

You will also need to realize that the ozone thingie you paid bucks for isn't exactly going to be sanitizing the bulk of your water in any significant way. Only the water going immediately over the light is getting treated and then it gets dumped back in to the rest of the pool. There is *no* residual sanitation in this hence why you *still* need to use chlorine at normal levels.

Maddie :flower:

I have read it (and will again and again cause it is a lot!). I definitely wanted to follow the TFP method, but his saying no liquid chlorine made me second guess it being okay this soon. Glad to hear it is a-okay.

- - - Updated - - -

You will also need to realize that the ozone thingie you paid bucks for isn't exactly going to be sanitizing the bulk of your water in any significant way. Only the water going immediately over the light is getting treated and then it gets dumped back in to the rest of the pool. There is *no* residual sanitation in this hence why you *still* need to use chlorine at normal levels.

Maddie :flower:

Technically, we didn't pay for it (ha, I know..we paid one way or another), but it was "on special" and didn't save us any to decline it with our build. I'd already read on here before that they weren't a fan favorite.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.