Brisbane, Australia.
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Astral Viron V25
Hi all, I’m in the hunt for new equipment and like all that have gone before I would like your thoughts.

I will use a SWCG of some sort. I haven’t decided to go cheap and cheerful or fancy and expensive? I do like the idea of chlorinators that run on lower salt levels, most of our Aussie chlorinators typically run at 6000ppm salt.

Till now I’ve been used to analog timers, simple output control and a switch to turn the pump and chlorinator on or off. To that end I can get a locally produced Crystal Clear 20g/hr @ 3500-4000ppm salt at just under $800AUD.
https://www.bestpoolsupplies.com.au...0-20-g-h-Self-Cleaning-Salt-Water-chlorinator

At the top end of the scale is a Pool Conrols SWC with acid dosing or the top of their range an XLS 900ppm which can run on salt as low as 900ppm. The SWC complete goes for ~$1600AUD while the XLS900ppm tops out at almost $3000AUD.
http://www.poolcontrols.com.au/wp-c...ntrols_XLS_A4-Flyer_Rev-2_Draft-3_Low-Res.pdf

Somewhere in the middle I can get another local brand, an Astral Viron with integrated acid dosing for around $1600AUD but I think this one runs at 6000ppm salt.

Theres a lot of jargon the manufactures throw around, ‘mineral crystral’ or ‘mineral Chlorinator’, ‘electrolytic cell’ and to really add to the confusion two of our major manufactures don’t provide technical support and direct me to my local pool shop for advice.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I will use a SWCG of some sort. I haven’t decided to go cheap and cheerful or fancy and expensive? I do like the idea of chlorinators that run on lower salt levels, most of our Aussie chlorinators typically run at 6000ppm salt.

We (as a family) converted our first pool to salt in ~1983 and we've had salt pools since. When I bought my place in the 90's the first thing I did was change to a sand filter and SWG.

I have had a Monarch (they are now Davey) Chloromatic ESC series for about 9 years. Prior to that I had the Chloromatic without the self cleaning. When I bought this one it was sold to me as a 3000ppm unit, and when getting tests at my pool store they used to target 3000ppm based on the model. I struggled. Like seriously struggled for 9 years with issues in getting it running well and eating cells. I eventually obtained and checked the service manual to find it doesn't say "target 3000ppm in your pool", it says "Do _not_ let the salt level fall below 3000ppm", and "Do not exceed 6000ppm". I then looked up the operators manual for latest version of the same unit, and they now say "Operating salt level: 4,500-6,000ppm". I raised my salt level to 4500ppm and kept it there and all my problems have gone. In fact I used to run it at 80% and I've now been running it at 50% and I've still got 9ppm of FC. I might have to turn it down *again*.

I wish I'd read the manuals and done the research years ago. I will say however that with the ESC unit, I've actually never had to clean the cell in 9 years. With the predecessor it was at least every 3 months. I check it regularly, but even when I took the cell out to replace it, there was no visible build-up and a dunk in the acid saw very little gas produced. The non-ESC unit used to bubble like a pepsi.

I've never bothered with automation, mine has the old analogue time clock with battery backup. I've had a quality pH meter for years, and once a week I check the water and dump some acid in.

So I'd put a vote for the Chloromatic, but only because I have had them for 20+ years and they just do the job. I will also say that the newer ones with the flow/gas detection electrode are neat. My mother in law took the pool cleaner out of the pool and left it connected to the skimmer. The flow detection picked up the no water situation and shut the pump down in about 40 seconds, saving me a new mechanical seal.

Hi Steve....

I run an Astralpool eq45 chlorinator and the manufacturer recommends the salt level to be 4000ppm to achieve full chlorine output.p

At one stage my salt had dropped to just under 3000ppm and it still wrked ok at lower drive levels.

Thanks Costas, that’s good to know, I really like the idea of running at 4000ppm or less. Love the idea of the XLS900ppm running at 900ppm but at $3000 its a bit expensive for me. I’ve been running an older Poolrite at 6000ppm and recently replaced it with a retro chlor that runs at 3500-4000ppm.

I went out to look at the eq25 today but went to a Waterco (swim mart) shop by mistake. They have a little Hydrochlor that but the timer auto/on/off switch is part of the analogue time and from experience they are prone to early failure. I believe the eq25 has the acid pump but I’m going cold on that idea as I’ll only need it while the concrete cures. I’ve got the brochure for the Viron V18 or V25 which is most likely the same minus the acid pump and will link with a VironXT pump.

Hey mate

I run my 36500 litre pool on a VX7T from AstraPool and it's working fine.
It was the original install from previous owner, so I need to run it in summer at 100% for roughly 8-9h/day to cover my FC loss.
If it had been my call, I probably would have gone for a VX9T so I wouldn't have to run the pump for so long, and save on $$$. With your 3 speed pump, i believe the VX7T will be good enough for you.

They recommend salt levels of 4000ppm which probably the lowest you can find.
Few people said they "accidentally" ran it under 4000ppm without issue. But at 4000ppm you can barely taste it, if salty taste is your issue.

Not sure of the cost for a new VX7T, but cell replacement is fairly cheap. I just replaced mine for $275 AUD free shipping.

Good luck with your research.

We (as a family) converted our first pool to salt in ~1983 and we've had salt pools since. When I bought my place in the 90's the first thing I did was change to a sand filter and SWG.

I've never bothered with automation, mine has the old analogue time clock with battery backup. I've had a quality pH meter for years, and once a week I check the water and dump some acid in.

So I'd put a vote for the Chloromatic, but only because I have had them for 20+ years and they just do the job. I will also say that the newer ones with the flow/gas detection electrode are neat. My mother in law took the pool cleaner out of the pool and left it connected to the skimmer. The flow detection picked up the no water situation and shut the pump down in about 40 seconds, saving me a new mechanical seal.

Thanks Brad, a lot of good info, thanks for your time. I’m happy for the only automation to be the timer in the chlorinator. I’ve played with pH meters and controllers back when I had a big fish tank, now I’m used to the pH drop test. If I do decide on an acid pump I will use it without a pH meter and run it the same as a chlorinator - test and adjust.

I’ve had a Davey eco pump for a while now and are happy with the Davey product - may go down that path too.

Hey mate

I run my 36500 litre pool on a VX7T from AstraPool and it's working fine.
It was the original install from previous owner, so I need to run it in summer at 100% for roughly 8-9h/day to cover my FC loss.
If it had been my call, I probably would have gone for a VX9T so I wouldn't have to run the pump for so long, and save on $$$. With your 3 speed pump, i believe the VX7T will be good enough for you.

They recommend salt levels of 4000ppm which probably the lowest you can find.
Few people said they "accidentally" ran it under 4000ppm without issue. But at 4000ppm you can barely taste it, if salty taste is your issue.

Not sure of the cost for a new VX7T, but cell replacement is fairly cheap. I just replaced mine for $275 AUD free shipping.

Good luck with your research.

Excellent, good info, thanks.

My pool will only be 20,000L, new pool, not the one in my sig, so I’d be running an XT at 50% or less I guess. Since I’m planning on over sizing the media filter a little so the whole system uses 2in/50mm pluming I’m going cold on the idea of a cyclone but they do look fancy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.