Oklahoma City, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Thanks to all the fantastic information that I have learned from TFP (and the Pool School book), I am not intimidated by our new home that just so happens to have a pool. We finally took possession on Saturday and I have posted my numbers below. I had a sneaking suspicion that the CYA was going to be high since the previous owner used pucks and stabilizer that was recommended by Leslie's (the *only* pool testing she did since having the pool put in 10 years ago!) Also, it appears that the Kreepy Crawly isn't working very well (it goes about 18" and then stops) but I have a new robot that will be arriving on Wednesday. It seems that during freeze protection, the booster pump is running continuously, so I will need to investigate that as well. OK...sorry for the rambling.

My current plan is to get the FC up to 10 and not mess with the CYA until we have settled in the house a bit and I figure out if the well will be able to deliver the required water flow for replacement or if I will have it trucked in. All the other numbers *seem* to be OK, so won't do much else chemistry wise. Operation wise, I am going to adjust the freeze protection to 35 degrees (currently set at 39) and adjust the pump to run about 2 hours a day. I figure that should be sufficient for the winter months. Any advice and/or comments are certainly welcome!

Numbers 12/8/18:

CYA: 90
FC: 3.5
CC: 0
PH: 7.2
TA: 80
CH: 325

Since the weather is cold and rainy in winter, perhaps even snow your way, take advantage of it and drop your pool level an inch now and then and let the rain/snow refill it. That will go a long way over time to lowering your CYA level without having to truck in water or worry about your well.

Just a suggestion :)

Maddie :flower:

Since the weather is cold and rainy in winter, perhaps even snow your way, take advantage of it and drop your pool level an inch now and then and let the rain/snow refill it. That will go a long way over time to lowering your CYA level without having to truck in water or worry about your well.

Just a suggestion :)

Maddie :flower:

I like your idea quite a bit. I thought that perhaps we could get enough precip over the next couple of months that it might bring the CYA down at least a little bit and then I wouldn't need to worry about it, so thanks!

Based upon your current numbers, I would bring your 7.2 pH higher. Plugging your current numbers into Pool math and using water temp of 50 degrees displays a CSI of -0.78

However, bringing pH up to 7.7 displays -0.33.

Just a thought...

Based upon your current numbers, I would bring your 7.2 pH higher. Plugging your current numbers into Pool math and using water temp of 50 degrees displays a CSI of -0.78

However, bringing pH up to 7.7 displays -0.33.

Just a thought...

PH is up to 7.7 now and with a temp of 42-43, it gets the CSI closer to balanced. We are supposed to get some rain today/tonight, so hoping the CYA comes down a bit. Also got the new robot cleaner and it did a fantastic job getting up a LOT of dirt from the floor.

Just need to figure out if I can get it to stop trying to clean the coping, as I think the stone will do a good job of chewing up the scrubbers.

Also looking into getting a variable speed pump. I originally thought that it had a two speed, but alas..it's a one speed...and boy does it pull some power! Ah, the joys of new pool ownership...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.