First winter - new pool

Sep 24, 2018
Acworth, GA
We are new to the pool school! Just completed our pool in late September. We have a 40x19 concrete, free form pool with a SWG and sheer descent. I have been testing the water at home and it seems to be going well for the moment. We are having our first cold snap/freeze this weekend and was curious if there is anything different we need to do for the winter. I have the SWG set at 40% runtime for chlorine and we have a freeze protection on the pump. We are not closing the pool.

Do the chemicals need to stay the same over the winter with no one swimming? Is there a way to run the pump and not the SWG? Just looking for some suggestions/ideas.

Michelle
Acworth, GA

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

Your SWCG will stop generating when your water reaches in the mid to low 50F temperatures. You should be able to turn it off, but we need more information. Please add a signature. Read Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
Information in your signature will show up each time you post and it makes advice more accurate as we know what equipment we are dealing with.

How are you testing your water? Do maintain your pool over the winter, primarily testing for FC and pH. Maintain the FC using the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] and keep pH in the 7's.

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.