Leaves went into line below skimmer

platon20

Bronze Supporter
Oct 13, 2016
DFW/Texas
I was pulling out the skimmer basket to empty it and there were a bunch of leaves just outside the skimmer entrance that got sucked into the line below the skimmer. I immediately put the skimmer basket back in place. The water circulation seems to be normal.

Do I need to turn off the pump and try to get the leaves out in the pipe below the skimmer? Is this a potential disaster or no big deal?

Sorry I know this is a newbie question.

The leaves should be caught in the basket at the pump intake. Go to the pump and look in the clear lid. You should see some leaves. When you can, be sure to clean them out.

Update:

Immediately after putting the skimmer basket back in place, there was a massive reverse flow of water up from the pipe below the skimmer, pushing a 2 foot tall tower of water out of the skimmer hole for a couple of seconds. Immediately afterwards, the pump shut off.

I checked the pump intake basket and it's empty.

I'm wondering if the leaves are blocking the pipe in between the pump intake and the skimmer?

If water backflowed out of the skimmer then the line is not plugged. That effect normally happens when the filter is really dirty or there is a blockage in the return lines to the pool.

Have you tried to start the pump and see what happens?

If water backflowed out of the skimmer then the line is not plugged. That effect normally happens when the filter is really dirty or there is a blockage in the return lines to the pool.

Have you tried to start the pump and see what happens?

No I was scared I would damage the system. Every 5 mins or so, the pump acts like it's trying to start up and then it shuts off again.

The pool guy is coming out tomorrow morning, I assume it's OK to leave the pump off until he comes out?

Pool guy came back out and restarted the pump, seems to be running OK but there's a lot of small particles in the pool. We are still in the start up process though and the polaris cleaner is not installed yet.

I'm still not exactly sure what happened. I wasnt home when the pool guy came out so I will have to ask him.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.