Can you have CC with no chlorine?

Lacey

Jul 2, 2016
Lincoln, Nebraska
First, I want to start by saying THIS IS NOT MY SPA, so please don't yell at me. I tested my mom's spa, who, in all honesty, does not take good proper care of it. She insists it's fine, because she's never had a problem before. :mad:

Her pH was unreadable low, as was the alkalinity. After a quick search on here, I found the pH was at least below 4.5. After adding tons of pH up, we got her pH up to 7.2 and Alk to 40.

Her FC was 0 and her CC was 0.5. She admitted to not having added dichlor for "at least a few weeks" because she ran out. I was very surprised the CC read at 0.5. Can you still have a high CC if you haven't had any chlorine in the spa for weeks? Does this mean her spa isn't actually in THAT bad of shape?

Additional info: She does have an ozonator. The spa is RARELY used. The water hasn't been changed since last spring. The water is clear and does not smell bad. CYA is 40 and we have hard water CH~250.

It's hard to convince her to change things when the CC comes out normal, the water is clear and she's never had a problem in the past 13 years she's owned spas. Please, help me, help her!

If I start slamming do you think we'll get a higher CC reading? I'm wondering if maybe it is showing a normal CC level because there hasn't been chlorine in the spa for so long? I have convinced her to start using bleach to keep her CYA from rising any more.

Side note: I LOVE ewwie gooies, so I can't wait to use some ahhh-some this spring when we can drain the spa! ;)

CC is the bad stuff, it’s organics that have not been completely oxidized. Generally CC are oxidized b6 UV, so in a covered spa you can find them.

Is this a portable spa? When I have problems I just dump the water and start over. An aahsome treatment couldn’t hurt.

No, this is not a portable spa. Surprisingly, she is having no problems. As bad as this sounds, I was hoping the test would show CC so I could get her to see she needs to properly sanitize her spa. I am wondering if maybe it would show CC's if there was chlorine in the spa? Maybe the CC at 0.5 is because there hasn't been any chlorine in the spa for so long? Or am I reaching?

Basically, I got the idea from CC standing for Combined Chloramines, if there is no chlorine, and there hasn't been in a long time, can there be any combined chloramines?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.