Can I close my in-ground and leave the spa open?

300winmag

Gold Supporter
Aug 2, 2016
Dallas, TX
Hey guys, I did some digging and I couldn't track down a post that answered my questions, so here goes.

I'm in the Dallas area, so our winters are not too bad. However, I see no point in circulating the main pool if I don't have too. As such, I'd like to be able to "close" the main pool, and leave the spa open for use when we want to heat it up.

1) Can I close just the pool? I'd prefer to drain it down below the return jets, but 2) is it OK to leave pebble tech exposed to air & sunlight for months on end? Also, 3) what would I do to the pool chemically to leave it stagnant and open to sun/rain etc.? I realize it may require more chemical work in the spring, but that's OK.

Thanks

With a VS pump, there is really no reason to close the pool. What is your motivation? It will cost pennies to run on the lowest speeds just to circulate chlorine and with a SWG, there is really no maintenance. You don't need a full close. Just stop vacuuming if that is the issue.

With a VS pump, there is really no reason to close the pool. What is your motivation? It will cost pennies to run on the lowest speeds just to circulate chlorine and with a SWG, there is really no maintenance. You don't need a full close. Just stop vacuuming if that is the issue.

My understanding is that below 50, the SWG shuts off chlorine production. So I'm just circulating water during run time, not adding chlorine. Also, it doesn't happen often, but every time we get a freeze something seems to go haywire with the pool. Thus, if I could avoid the worry/hassle and just focus on the spa, it would be a lot easier.

Example, during freeze protection the system draws from the pool, and returns some to the pool, and some to the spa. This causes the spa overflow into the pool. This is all well and good, but I always worry about he return lines to the spa; they have no water movement, and are well above ground. Thus, I'd rather send water to/from spa only making sure those lines are moving, and leave the pool lines empty.

That is true about the SWG but how long does the water typically stay below 50F?

Also, do you have a controller that has freeze protection that will cycle through the various valve settings?

There are other options to help protect equipment during freezing temps. A simple one is to tarp the equipment. For your climate, that should be sufficient to prevent any pad equipment from freezing. Here are a few other options:

The Physics of Freezing and Freeze Protection

You can semi-close the pool by just not running the pump while the water is below 50F but you would still need to prevent freezing in the pad equipment. Underground is probably not issue for your climate.

That is true about the SWG but how long does the water typically stay below 50F?

Also, do you have a controller that has freeze protection that will cycle through the various valve settings?

There are other options to help protect equipment during freezing temps. A simple one is to tarp the equipment. For your climate, that should be sufficient to prevent any pad equipment from freezing. Here are a few other options:

The Physics of Freezing and Freeze Protection

You can semi-close the pool by just not running the pump while the water is below 50F but you would still need to prevent freezing in the pad equipment. Underground is probably not issue for your climate.

I do have a controller, but when freeze protect comes on it can only be set to turn on the pool, or spa. I can't run both or set a program to switch between them, thus leaving my spa return jets susceptible to freezing; at the spa at the equipment pad.
If I am able to 'close' the pool, and only use the spa, I would set program/schedules such that the valves wouldn't cycle back to pool mode.

Thanks for the link.

What make/model controller do you have? Most should be able to switch between pool and spa.

Alternatively, you can set the return valves mid-way between pool/spa and the pool/spa suction valve mostly to pool and tiny bit to spa. That should allow flow through both sections of pipe without draining the spa.

I’m in Dallas and am here searching the same thing. I think a simple way to look at it is that they share water. Mine, you can’t keep it in spa mode. It always cycles to pool to start. So unless you set the timer to off then manually engage the pump and spa mode, it’s going to circulate. I don’t understand swg systems so the whole chlorine/ <50 degree thing is a mystery to me. I’d use chlorine. From what I’ve found there is no need in our area to “winterize” anything. Just check levels weekly as they should not go off much, and make sure frost protection mode is enabled at around 38.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.