Polaris 280 Trouble

Nov 3, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Hi,

Have a 15 year old Polaris 280 that has worked well. Lately, it runs fine along the bottom of the pool but when it gets to the end of the pool, it either stalls at the bottom of the wall (curve vs. 90 degree) or more likely turns to the left, goes a few feet and turns to the right, goes a few feet and turns to the left...you get the picture!

Factory Rebuild Kit for Polaris 280 Pool Cleaner

You likely have corrosion built up in the bearings and moving parts that cause too much friction for the Polaris to move properly. The water provides very little power to overcome the friction and the cleaner stalls. The rebuild kit replaces all the moving parts.

Factory Rebuild Kit for Polaris 280 Pool Cleaner

You likely have corrosion built up in the bearings and moving parts that cause too much friction for the Polaris to move properly. The water provides very little power to overcome the friction and the cleaner stalls. The rebuild kit replaces all the moving parts.

Hi....thanks for the reply. I just went out and turned on the Polaris and found that I have a "leak" at the pressure relief valve connecting the Polaris to the pool wall. It is not leaking at the wall but out of what I assume is the pressure relief valve. Now the question is why is this valve leaking water? Is it because I have a bad valve or because there is something wrong at the Polaris?

Hi....thanks for the reply. I just went out and turned on the Polaris and found that I have a "leak" at the pressure relief valve connecting the Polaris to the pool wall. It is not leaking at the wall but out of what I assume is the pressure relief valve. Now the question is why is this valve leaking water? Is it because I have a bad valve or because there is something wrong at the Polaris?

I think you are talking about the Universal Wall Fitting (UWF) https://www.amazon.com/Polaris-91009001-Connector-Assembly-9-100-9001/dp/B01M3YNJXJ/

Pull it out of the pool and take a look at it. It has a filter in it that could have gotten clogged. See Polaris Quick Disconnect, Filter screen cleaning - YouTube

Either the UWF is bad or the Polaris has an internal problem causing back pressure.

You can try replacing the UWF. Otherwise do the rebuild using the kit. In the process of disassembling and rebuilding you will find any other internal problems in the Polaris. You may find other things broken in the Polaris that are not in the rebuild kit and you have to order separately. All the parts are available.

polaris-280-parts.jpg

I removed the pressure relief valve and it looks broken to me. I’m not sure if this is causing my problem or not? I have ordered a new one.
bae6465c9f416a396d5bbbe56ce0e991.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.