Clearing trees from surrounding the pool

Feb 14, 2018
Raleigh
First, thanks to all for the helpful forum. I've found it very useful to answering many of my questions for our upcoming pool build. One question I haven't seen addressed is:

How far would you recommend I clear trees from my lot surrounding the pool site? Specifically regarding tall pines.

All of the trees in my yard from 8ft back from the rear edge of the pool and forward are scheduled to be removed. I am wondering how far back I should take down some of the larger trees, namely the 70ft + pines. I won't have any overhanging branches but I am concerned about the pine needles falling into the pool and becoming a cleaning hassle. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3950 - C.jpg
    IMG_3950 - C.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3949 - C.jpg
    IMG_3949 - C.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 94
Pine needles are a hassle if they are constantly going in your pool, I would try to avoid it if possible. The other thing you want to consider is shade. It makes a real big difference in your pool temperature, especially toward the end of the season if they are to the south of the pool. If you have shade, consider a heat system of some sort. We have trees on a neighboring property to the south of our pool, and if it wasn't for our heat pump our season would end pretty early as the sun migrates south.

Also consider any issues with tree roots, both coming against your pool walls, and your decking. Not sure how much of an issue it is with gunite or vinyl pool walls, but I know tree roots coming up can wreak havoc with decking.

The ground under the six pine trees near my pool is filthy with needles. I've never pulled a single one out of my pool, or seen one in my skimmer. The ends of some of the branches come to within 5' of my pool. We have very regular afternoon winds in the 15mph range.

I inherited the pool and landscaping from the previous owner, but always thought his (or his architect's) choice of foliage around the pool was brilliant. I have a very clean pool, and only clean my filter once a year. I do get some leaves, of course, but not from the evergreens.

And just so it's been said: cutting down a 70+ft pine tree would be a real shame (I typed "crime," then deleted it! Oops.) Cut down as few trees as possible, build the pool, see how it goes. Trim them later if you have to. Cut them down only as the last resort.

Regarding the heat and shade? I like some shade on my pool, it's too hot on my head in the summer without it. And you can heat your pool with a solar system located out of range of shade. Solve it that way. Having trees near my pool is a joy, not to mention good for the environment. I'm not a tree-hugger. But I like having them around.

summer pool.jpg

I have only 3 trees near the pool within 15 ft, none overhanging. A few trees farther out, depending on wind speed and direction I get debris most of the summer. Bud, blossom pedals to leaves. Nothing in great quantities but enough to cause annoyance. I have plenty of pine trees (not very close to pool) but they are the long needle. Pine cones the size of bananas have been dropping,a hundred to a tree. If wind blows enough the shedding needles make there way in pool.
My pool gets little to no shade all year except late fall. Water heats up nicely with full sun. It would cost me a fortune to heat with full shade.(I have gas heater). The trees might not over hang the pool but a slight breeze will push falling debris into pool. Might be cheaper to take out trees without a pool to work around.

30ft minimum. A lot of people won't want to do that, but any closer and you will definitely get pine tar and needles in the pool.

I do have some tar on my deck. It is directly under the tree, well within the tree's drip line. Any tar from the rest of my trees, whose branches do not overhang my deck, don't get on the deck or in the pool, at all. I'm not sure how either tar or needles are flying dozens of feet from tree to pool. They don't seem to catch the wind in my yard, either as they fall or once on the ground. But I'm just one guy, in one yard.

You're lucky then. During storms or decent wind I've seen pine needles go at least 15 feet from the edge of the tree.

But it does depend on how tall the tree is too, obviously higher up needles have further to fall and can be moved further by the wind.

You're lucky then. During storms or decent wind I've seen pine needles go at least 15 feet from the edge of the tree.

But it does depend on how tall the tree is too, obviously higher up needles have further to fall and can be moved further by the wind.

I do believe I'm in the minority. Minimal leaves, no sand or dirt, only a few bugs. A couple gophers. No frogs. So I have to acknowledge I'm not the best to advise about this. But I can't help but suggest that you give some good thought, and maybe see how bad it is first, before you clearcut 40+ year old trees...

Appreciate all the advice. As I don't have a fence up yet, I'm going to go with a 30' clearing on the NC pines. The needles are 4-5 in long and already clog my gutters. Easier and cheaper to cut them now than later.

As for saving the trees, we have plenty. My lot backs up to woods and there is a 5,000 acre state forest across the street.

My neighbor with a pool (but no trees) complains about the frogs and snakes in the pool. I'm hoping to avoid with a layer of deer netting along the bottom foot of the fence.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.