Turn off system in Winter?

spthomas

Mar 24, 2014
Lewisville, TX
I have a relatively new T15 cell on my Aquarite system. I've been told it turns itself off with water temp below 60. I kept the old dead cell, and was told I could put the old cell inline during winter and turn the system off to extend the life of the new cell. Then I'd just use tabs in a floater if needed in winter. Does all this make sense?

That is one method. No real reason to take your SWCG out for the winter as you are not closing the pool. You can turn the power off to it if you want.

Most of us in the winter use liquid chlorine instead of trichlor. Trichlor is quite acidic and also adds CYA. So be ware of that.

If you have an old cell, it's probably a good idea to put it in place of the new cell until you're ready to begin using the swg again.

Mostly due to the risk of freeze damage if you got a really cold period and lost power.

If the cell freezes and cracks, it's not fixable.

Just turn off the power to the swg.

Does just having water run through the existing cell make it age? It is it only when it's in use that it wears out?

Also, a pool guy told me that many salt systems won't generate at all below 60 degrees so they don't work themselves to death trying to generate in the winter. Any truth to that?

It's mostly usage that ages a cell, but mechanical erosion does happen due to water flow depending on water velocity.

Below 60, most SWGs will shut down due to reduced efficiency.

LCD display will read “COLD” when the water temperature is below 50 F.

I recently contacted Hayward about my T15 cell and they told me it operates at 20% efficiency between 50-60F and stops at 50F and below. I'll see how accurate that is this winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.