CSI and scaling question

Jun 12, 2018
Surprise Az.
Hi I’m new to this and this is my first pool ,I’ve been following the pool math and my pool has been looking
awsome.
FC 3.5
PH 7.5
TA 70
CA 175
CYA 40
I’m trying to understand the CSI, mine says it is -0.55, from my understanding according to Pool Math calcium should be between 250 and 350, My tap water calcium is only 50 ppm so I had brought it up to 175. But I also read if you have a spa to keep calcium lower. But I don’t think my CSI is correct, my alkalinity was at 110 out of tap, was dealing with a bit of a high pH in the beginning so I have been adding acid according to the pool math, now I am at the lowest end of 70 Alk, was trying to keep pH close to 7.5 because I was getting a Little bit of white scaling on my one by one tiles just on the spillway.
Should my pH stay stable now or will I have to continue to add acid ?but then I’m worried about alkalinity dropping too low.
How do I minimize the scale buildup because I don’t think my CSI is right ?
Just trying to get everything on point thanks for any help you may have��

Welcome to the forum!

Can you tell us how you obtained your test results? That is really low CH water for your area. Just want to be sure the results are correct.

With a negative CSI it is virtually impossible to get scale. Can you post a picture of what you are seeing?

That looks like efflorescence, which is calcium carbonate from water bleeding through the grout from the other side.

The calcium is from the cement in the wall and grout and not related to water chemistry.

To help improve your CSI, I would recommend that the pH be kept closer to 7.8.

The efflorescence is from water bleeding through the wall.

Is the spa on the other side of the wall?

Is it a spillover spa?

You can raise the calcium level a bit. See recommended levels in pool school. Try to keep the CSI at about -0.3 to 0.0. Put your numbers in poolmath to calculate the CSI.

Temperature affects the CSI, so if you have two bodies of water at different temperatures, you have to find the best balance. Check the CSI at both temperatures and try to find the best fit.

I would make the builder aware of the bleed through issue. It's basically a leak in the spa.

Over time, the leak will loosen the tile and cause the mortar to dissolve and the tile will come loose.

Do you have a picture of the whole pool and spa?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.