New Above Ground Considerations

Sep 24, 2018
Toronto, Ontario
Hi all, I've been setting up/down an 18x9 Intex pool over the past couple of seasons, and the kids absolutely love it. I used a SWG, but the pool was a hand-me-down, so it was on it's last legs anyways. I was aware the salt would degrade it. :)

This coming spring, we need to do a full deck replacement as our existing one is 20+ years old and is decomposing on site. As part of the deck rebuild, I'd like to integrate a permanent above ground. We have an ideal, very subtle slope in our backyard and our sliding patio doors are a decent height off the ground. Just eye-balling it, it looks ideal to have a deck flush with an above ground. I'm thinking a 15'x30'x52" would be ample size. The deck would probably be approximately 20-25' out before the pool starts - then of course another 15' for pool width, following by perhaps 3 feet around the pool. Here are my random collection of thoughts up to this point.

1) Pool would need to be salt friendly, so I guess all resin.
2) I'm in Canada, so need something that can tolerate freezing temps.
3) Definitely sand filter as opposed to cartridge as I currently have
4) We used solar heat for the intex, but, in this case, we'd definitely be looking at natural gas likely around ~150,000 btu
5) I need to excavate a little to level the pool, again - just eyeballing, I don't think by much. Any concerns with water buildup/ice, etc.? Weeping tile?
6) Decking surface would be some composite. The majority of the deck structure likely pressure treat - but perhaps around the pool area an alternate to prevent salt damage?
7) Can the pool sit entirely under the deck, so the edge of the pool is the deck? or, is it normally installed such that the pool resin cap/edge sits flush on top of the deck? I prefer to not see the resin edge, and have the clean look of the deck around it, but I'm not married to the idea.

I've done some browsing already, and there seems to be lots of brand options. Aqualeader seems to be popular in these parts. If anybody has some recommendations, I'd love to hear about them. I don't think we want the most expensive money can buy. At the end of the day, if all goes according to plan, only the liner, cap and stairs would be visible anyways. Durability/warranty would probably be the most important criteria.

Many thanks!

Doughboy is a very good name in above ground pools. There also many others. Like you state the resin is the key. Make sure it is resin wall tracks as well. The stainless bolts should be of high quality as well (I will let you research this as I keep forgetting what number makes it good stainless).

Decking+pool......the biggest problem with putting the decking over the the wall/coping is when you need to replace the liner. It will be almost impossible to take the caps/rails off if the deck is over them. Just something to think about. My husband built our deck so the board go just under the coping without touching the walls. We find it is a good visual to help keep people from falling into the water by mistake. Just a couple of things to think about.

Kim:kim:

I'm not completely sure but I don't think Doughboy will warranty their pools if salt is used. I have a resin Doughboy pool but the bottom track and pool wall are not resin. After a couple of seasons dealing with manual bleach additions I can see the attraction for salt pools. I might switch myself sometime in the future when I figure warranty would be more trouble than it is worth - like most warranties become.

As for the deck I installed mine even with the top rail but with an inner ring of boards that can be removed when needed for access. You can see pictures in my build post. Good luck.

Also in Canada and went with a new AquaLeader pool this summer, installed it myself. The only steel part is the wall, everything else is resin. Can’t give you much long term review since we just installed this summer but so far I love it, no complaints.

You mentioned heating, we have a NG 150K btu and it has no problems heating our 12x24 up to 88 (to keep my wife happy), had it up to 92 one night.

Im not a salt water guy so can’t give any info for that, but def consider an AquaLeader I think they even have a model with resin wall.

Also in Canada and went with a new AquaLeader pool this summer, installed it myself. The only steel part is the wall, everything else is resin. Can’t give you much long term review since we just installed this summer but so far I love it, no complaints.

You mentioned heating, we have a NG 150K btu and it has no problems heating our 12x24 up to 88 (to keep my wife happy), had it up to 92 one night.

Im not a salt water guy so can’t give any info for that, but def consider an AquaLeader I think they even have a model with resin wall.

Thanks. The one I'm looking at is the AquaLeader Element or Galaxy. It's categorized as Salt Friendly, and all resin - though it does not call out the walls as resin. It claims to have a 60yr prorated warranty, but, I'm having trouble finding exactly what that covers. Obviously regular wear and tear items would not be. Out of curiosity, did you purchase it via Pool Supplies Canada, or a local dealer? I have quotes from both, and local dealer is pricier. I was also planning to install myself as local retailer wants $3200+tax to install. I'm fairly handy, and based on what I've seen online, it's not that complex.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.