New member with newbie questions

Bellicusa

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Bellmawr, NJ
Hello everyone.

New member, new pool owner.
I recently purchased my first house and along with it got my first pool...or what is left of it.
House was a forclosure and the previous owner certainly didnt care much about the way they left the house, pool, yard, etc.
Anyway, they never winterized the pool. I have no clue to the condition of the piping underground or the pump/filter.
The liner is trashed and some of the concrete around the outside of the pool has cracked/buckled.

I guess the first question I have is how can I begin to determine the condition of the different pieces of the pool?
Is there a good way to test the plumbing to see if it has been trashed since it was never winterized?
Is there a good way to test the pump and filter assembly?
Is there a reasonable way to find out why the concrete cracked and shifted?
Im open to other thoughts/concerns.

This is a link to some pics I took of the pool tonight... http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c180/A4x4Junky/Pool/

Thanks,
Anthony

Anthony,

Welcome to the forum. Tell us the city and state where you live and we can get you some help. What we say has a lot to do with your climate. :lol:

A daylight picture encompassing the whole pool would help if it's easy for you to get.

Anthony, welcome to TFP. I am not an expert in pools, just an owner of one. Someone will come on and offer lots of great advice and help you get your pool back in great condition. Sit tight :cheers:

Bellicusa said:
Hello everyone.

New member, new pool owner.
I recently purchased my first house and along with it got my first pool...or what is left of it.
House was a forclosure and the previous owner certainly didnt care much about the way they left the house, pool, yard, etc.
Anyway, they never winterized the pool. I have no clue to the condition of the piping underground or the pump/filter.
The liner is trashed and some of the concrete around the outside of the pool has cracked/buckled.

I guess the first question I have is how can I begin to determine the condition of the different pieces of the pool?
Is there a good way to test the plumbing to see if it has been trashed since it was never winterized?
Is there a good way to test the pump and filter assembly?
Is there a reasonable way to find out why the concrete cracked and shifted?
Im open to other thoughts/concerns.

This is a link to some pics I took of the pool tonight... http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c180/A4x4Junky/Pool/

Thanks,
Anthony

Hey, Thanks for the extra pics.....better perspective.

In New Jersey, I have a feeling you may not be able to do much until Spring. YOu will certainly need a new liner but that is strictly a warm weather (reasoably warm) operation so, until that's done, I'm not sure you can accomplish too much else.

The settling of the concrete (decking) was caused by the soil settling underneath the deck. There is little you can do except remove the old concrete and start over. It is actually a quite common occurrence so don't be depressed by it. Most folks live with it for a while. Caulking is technically very good for it but it doesn't dress it up at all. I would suggest you do that.

You can also check to see if you have power to the pump and if it will run. If it does, don't leave it on long at all (I would sugggest less than a minute) it will heat up quickly without water
It will be difficult to check the rest of your plumbing until you get the new liner, pool filled up and have the water circulating.

Your internal plumbing is very likely just fine.

You can check the condition of the filtering medium (I think that might be a cartridge filter) to see if it needs replacement.

Prepare to pay a pro to rehab the walls of your pool and put in the new lineer....2-4k would be my guess.

It can be a DIY but you have to be pretty confidant and you have to read up and ask a lot of questions. We'll help anyway we can.

There's lot's of folks on here who might have a better idea of cold weather operations than I do. They'll be along soon and may suggest some more things you can do.

Thanks for the response.

So far today I managed to find the switch for the light which works.

I have also found the breaker for the pool filter. I added a little water to the pump...um, screen filter basket thingy and turned the pump on. It immediately sucked the water out of there, so I turned the pump back off.

The label on the side of the filter says it is DE...which I dont know how to check.

Anyway, thanks again.

Anthony

Anthony, welcome to TFP!!

Dave (Duraliegh) has given you a very good prognosis for the liner! Is there any way you can tarp off the pool til spring - I'd like to see damage to the floor kept to a minimum :)

I'm from Tenafly and started my pool career in Closter NJ - I always try to help pool owners, but especially those who live where I have :wink:

I viewed most of your pics and... the liner is trashed (probably from chemical abuse :eek: in the past), the walls need some work before a new liner is dropped and the floor looks OK in the pics, but may well need some 'touching up' :|

Fear not, brave soul! I happen to be VERY experienced in IG liner pool rehab and will help you as best I can via the internet -- there also are a large number of other experts here that are also willing to aid you in revitalizing your pool :cool: In short, you came to the right place to 'reclaim' the pool in your backyard :cheers:

Please let us know what you want and expect with the pool and we'll be here to help you either do it yourself or select the right contractor to do it for you :goodjob:

As it's probably too cold to do much at this time, keep in touch with us over the winter and we'll be able to help you get your pool ready for a Memorial Day party :party:

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I ceratinly realize the liner is gone...not only ripped, but brittle. No expectations on that.

I see you mention keeping the damage to the floor to a minimum...what is the floor construction?
I want to stop as much damage as possible.
I had a loop-lock cover in place, but the water was causing the center to sag horribly. I kept a submersible pump handy, but when the snow hits that wont be an option and I am afraid of destroying the cover.

Anthony

Anthony,

It's hard to tell from the pics, but I suspect you have a vermiculite bottom.

Please don't abuse your cover by trying to use it this winter! (the cover needs to rest on the pool water to remain functional - and you don't have enough water in the pool to support it!)

What I would do is drape tarps or plastic over the areas that the liner no longer covers - i.e. keep rain and debris from being able to get behind the liner and harm the floor. Brittle as it is, the liner is still protecting the floor where it covers it :) All you need to do is cover the places that the liner is absent and all should be good come spring :cool:

Once you have the floor properly protected, either search the forums for rehab info or/ and start a new topic for how to repair the walls, etc. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.