Changing spa light bulb...do I need to lubricate new gasket?

Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
My spa light bulb went out, so I plan on changing it out soon. I've watched several videos and it looks pretty straightforward. From what I've read/watched, the lens gasket is supposed to be changed every time the fixture is opened. Does the new lens gasket also need to be lubricated prior to installing?

There is no need to lubricate the lens gasket. That gasket sees no movement like you would see in say, a pump lid o-ring where one or both surfaces are moving when assembled. This is a common misconception with regard to o-rings. O-rings that get "smashed" like pump tank or seal plate o-rings, filter tank o-rings, etc. don't need lube. Now having said that, you may see lube on seal plate o-rings, but that is not to help them seal. It is to hold them in place until you get the two halves together. Since that o-ring has to sit vertically in a groove, it wants to fall out before you can get it re-assembled, therefore a bit of lube helps hold it in place in the groove during assembly.

Also, when you have an o-ring that should be lubed, it doesn't need half the tube on it! Just enough lube to make the o-ring "shinny" is plenty. The lube should be on the o-ring, not all over everything in the vicinity of the o-ring. When ever i see an over use of lube, it is usually because the sealing surface had not been cleaned properly first, and is leaking, or there is a small crack in that sealing surface, or the o-ring itself is cracked (age), and is leaking through that. Too many times i have seen the "good's enough, more's better" approach to lube on things.

Use sparingly, and your tech will thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.