Suction side leak

So, thanks everyone for the input.

Jim, the Great White vacuum plugs into a dedicated port that is located on one of the pool walls (the same wall the skimmer is on), but about 10 feet from the skimmer, and obviously well below the water line.

Dirk, here's a pic of the inside of the skimmer. With the pump running, I can see small debris being sucked into the opening on the right, and if I put my hand over it, I can feel some suction. I don't see debris entering the other opening, and also don't feel suction there.

View attachment 87570

I will probably not mess with rotating the three way, but I will enlist my wife to help me with the water test. The three way is at one end of the pad and the pump is at the other, so one of us will have to run the water over the three way while the other watches through the pump cover. I was thinking back, this is Hawaii, and we have a coconut tree close by. Months ago, I was harvesting coconuts and a bunch dropped to the ground and then ended up by the three way - wondering if they have have hit it and cracked something? Guess that water test will help determine that.

I really appreciate all of the help from you guys - much appreciated.

Dirk, I was going to upload pics of my equipment pad, but got an over-storage limit message. Will try later.

Bob

Hey Bob, got the photos. Your skimmer looks just like mine. You said you've already identified the skimmer's suction port. If there is nothing blocking or sealing the other port, and there is no corresponding hole in the side of your pool in line with that other port (which would be an equalizer port), it is very likely the pipe that leads to your drain(s). The small threaded hole in the middle is for attaching the diverter mechanism, which would balance suction between your skimmer and drains. Since you are missing that diverter, as I am, your drains will not pull water and have no affect on circulation. If you ever wanted them to, you'd need to obtain the diverter mechanism.

You can confirm that other port runs to your drain by putting the end of a full-blast-running hose an inch or so into the port, and sealing the hose to the port with a sock or small towel. DO THIS WITH THE PUMP OFF. You don't want to get your hand or towel or anything else sucked into the skimmer's suction port. DO THIS WITH THE PUMP OFF. You don't want to get your hand or towel or anything else sucked into the skimmer's suction port. (Twice, I say! Important!) As you pump water into the "mystery" port, see if you observe any puff of crud from the drain(s). If not, you'll have to get in to see if you can feel any current coming out of the drain. Since you are the only one qualified and capable of handling the hose and the towel, I'm afraid your wife will have to get into the pool and dive down. You can tell her I said so! ;)

Anyway, that's one way to establish your drains connect to your skimmer. If that checks out, the three way valve balances your skimmer and suction port (same as my pool), which as I described previously you can confirm by working the valve each way and observing what happens to your vacuum head and skimmer port. That you would do with the pump on, of course, but as I mentioned, be careful how you place your hand up to any suction port. Most likely you'd be fine doing so, but ya never know. Hold a small leaf up near it, or carefully put just one finger up to it. You get the idea.

That'll give you a better idea of how your system works...

I did the running water test over the three way valve and all of the exposed pipes and joints, while my wife watched the view through the pump cover, and then we switched places. Neither of us detected any difference to the small amount of air bubbles under that lid. Also did the same test on the air pressure gauge at the top of the filter, same results.

I'll just keep checking and testing...want to make sure I got through the suction side really well before I move on.

I don't think it's a huge issue, just annoying.

thanks for the input everyone.

Bob

Dirk, when you wrote "corresponding hole in the side of your pool in line with that other port (which would be an equalizer port)", did you mean inline at roughly the same height vertically from the bottom, or inline like directly across from? I do have a "mystery opening". I don't think it's a return (if I put my hand over it while the pump is running, I don't feel water coming out or suction). It's in the wall, at about the same level and within a foot or so of a return, and roughly aligned with the two bottom drains. The four returns all have a plastic cover and this is just a circular hole with no cover.

Bob

I meant directly below the skimmer. I don't have an equalizer port, but I imagine one that runs from the skimmer's second port would be just below the skimmer opening. Vertically inline with the second port in your skimmer (we know the other port in the skimmer is the suction port that runs back to your pad). It wouldn't be across the pool from the skimmer.

Yours could be an equalizer port. Or it could be a fill outlet. How do you fill your pool?

See post #24. Turn off your pump(s), force water down that second skimmer port. If it splashes back at you, that second skimmer port is sealed off and unused. If it comes out the drain, then that's where your drains connect. If it comes out your "mystery opening," then that's an equalizer port.

If you have a mystery valve by your house, typically close to or just under the hose bib that's closest to your pool, and turn that on and water comes out of your
"mystery opening," then that's your fill port.

I have a port like what you're describing. It's my overflow/autofill port. Do you have an
auto-filler? It could be that, too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.