Question about off brand bleach

Feb 6, 2018
Conroe TX area
Does anyone know the chlorine % of Walmart "top job" and/or HEB Hill Country Fare bleach? This is the $1/96 oz jugs. I think it is 2.5 or lower because I have been using 1 container a day in my pool and I am having trouble maintaining free chlorine. HEB sells 8.25% for $2.64/1gal and I plan on switching to this.

Thought I would include:
FC 1.5
CC 2 (I know, just shocked 15 mins ago)
pH 7.9 (I added 40 oz 20 baume before shocking)
TA 125
CYA 37
CH 160

Thanks for any help.

When you buy off brand bleach, make sure it has the percentage listed somewhere on the label....either on the front, or in the "active ingredients" on the back. 6% is the standard now a days. As mentioned above, avoid bleach that lists "cloramax", "polymers", or "hydroxide" on the label along with the hypochlorite.

Also, it helps to be able to read the manufacture date thats printed on the side of the jug. It'll say something along the lines of "18233", which is the 233rd day of 2018. Use the card posted in the thread below to decipher dates. As a quick reference, today 03Oct18 is day #276. You want to pick up the freshest jugs you can for greatest potency, best within the last 60d or so. Kept in your care in a climate controlled environment, it'll keep longer. Myself, I picked up 12gal of 10% from Rural King that was 8days old at the time (18233). Kept in the dark in a 76* office, it should keep above 8% for a few more months yet. Here's that thread:

How do I find out how old/date the bleach is

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.