What Would You Suggest To Balance?

Dec 11, 2017
Pa
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all! Hope everyone has been well. So much craziness going on here (husband got laid off in May, been watching the grandkids, etc) over the Summer that I haven't really had time to be on. Anyway, pool has been balanced and great all Summer long. However, the last month it's been raining like crazy here, and since we haven't really been able to use the pool during that time, the chemicals have gone a little out of whack.

Anyway, I know I have several options (based on what the calculator says) but not sure which direction I should go in as one thing affects the other, ya know? Would love any suggestions on how to proceed in getting things back on track.

Currently my pool sits at:

FC - 5
PH - 7.0
TA - 20
CH - 60

Didn't do the CYA but I imagine that is very low due to the tons of rain we've been getting.

Usually, our pool stays around these numbers below:

FC - 5 or 6
PH - 7.6 or 7.8
TA - 120
CH - 220 or 230

Would love to hear some suggestions on what I should do first. The pool people are coming to close the pool in a few weeks and I really would like to be balanced before they get here so that they don't go suggesting adding all their junk to balance things. Thanks a lot. And yeah, we still use someone to do that for us as we're still not comfortable with closing ourselves. Especially since we really don't have a means of blowing out the lines.

We need to know your CYA to comment on your FC level. I wouldn't add CYA this time of year. Maintain your FC level until you close.

Confirm you have a TA of 20 and redo the test. If your TA is really 20 you need to raise it and it will raise the PH. TA is raised by adding baking soda. Baking soda is common household baking soda from the baking aisle of any grocery store. If you can find them, larger containers are less expensive per pound and easier to handle. Some larger grocery stores sell baking soda in 4 lb boxes and some big box stores have it in 12 lb bags. Baking soda can be added by spreading it across the surface of the deep end of the pool.

No real need to raise your CH with a vinyl pool and solar heater.

In summary, double check your TA and do what you want with your CH. Calculate your CSI using PoolMath

First. Do a CYA test. If below 30 ppm raise it to that.

Second, add baking soda to bring your TA to 60 ppm. I would suggest doing it in two batches and testing in between.

CH is up to you. Not a big deal with vinyl but some like to keep it higher. So add some if you like.

I assume you are not using the metal ion thing? If so, consider unhooking that as it adds metal to your water that you do not want.

Take care.

Surprisingly, my CYA is at 40. Although I did adjust that sometime in the middle of the Summer as we lost a bit. And yes, this last check of the TA was my 4th time redoing it and it is indeed 20. I used the 25ml test and it only took 2 drops to change the color.

And no, I turned the Ion thing off in the beginning of the Summer as suggested here.

So pretty much just add 248 oz of Baking Soda as per the calculator (to raise it to the suggested 100) and don't worry about anything else? Or ONLY raise it to 60 (124 oz, if so), as you mentioned? Thanks!

I already have one 4lb box of Baking Soda to use. Will have to get more if needed.

I would do 124oz of baking soda and retest your TA. You don't want to overshoot it. About 80 is the highest I would go on TA. Anywhere between 60 & 80 is fine.

Sounds good. How long after adding it should I wait to test? A day? And should I dissolve it into a bucket of water before adding to the deep end or just sprinkle it directly into the deep end, keeping an eye out for clumps? Seems everyone does both methods.

Add directly to the pool. No need for the bucket thing. Circulate the pool for a couple hours and test.

Added in 8lbs of Baking Soda last night and let it run for like 3 hours then tested it just now. Raised the PH up to 7.4 but only raised the TA to 40 instead of 60. I may toss in another 4lbs in as per the calc (well, it says almost 4lbs).

Question, when the pool people come to close us in a few weeks, and since the pool will be balanced by then ('cause I will be on top of it until then), should I go ahead and allow them to use the typical chemicals they've used in previous years when closing, or should I add something "extra" (whatever that may be, bleach...etc) on my own and just have them do the rest of the stuff.....blowing out lines, cleaning and storing filter, putting on the cover, etc? I'm thinking they probably add in some sort of Algaecide and who knows what else.

But if I'm remembering correctly, I thought I read some posts on here saying that most members just close when colder (Oct or later), and ONLY add in extra bleach and that's usually sufficient to open to a clear pool. I'm gonna go look around to be sure but I'm thinking I'll just have them skip on the chemicals and I'll just add extra bleach (SLAM levels perhaps) and call it a day (where chemicals are concerned).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am! I don't want them to mess up my good thing. Haven't had problems all Summer but for this most recent adjustment/issue. That's it!!

Still debating on whether or not I will use the Polyquat. Seems like it's 50/50 with members using it vs. those who don't. We don't have many big leaf dropping trees around our yard so I may skip it. I'll just make sure I give the pool a good brushing and vacuuming before closing. But we'll see. I may change my mind still. LOL

Thanks for the link. I just read up on that again yesterday.

If I do decide to go with it, is this brand ok?

Amazon.com : Kem-Tek KTK-50-0006 Pool and Spa 60-Percent Concentrated Algaecide, 1 Quart : Swimming Pool Algaecides : Garden Outdoor

I don’t envy any of you who must close a pool. Glad the Ph is increasing steadily with the baking soda, those were some low #s. I clicked on the pool school for closing and yikes! Grateful to be able to use our pool in sunny CA...even though we don’t...all year. We’re about to get hammered with rain from Rosa, so fingers crossed for us.

You are very lucky!! Wish we could keep ours open all year long. :-(

I also added another 4lbs of Baking Soda yesterday early evening since my TA was still low and just re-checked everything again. New numbers are..............

FC - 5
PH - 7.8
TA - 50 (still not 60 but don't want to add more and push that PH up higher)
CH - Same, 60

At this point I will just maintain as is until closing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.