Alabama Saltwater Pool - New to Pool Ownership

Salt_Water_Sam

Bronze Supporter
Oct 1, 2018
Birmingham/Alabama
Hello everyone, I am a new pool owner. I recently purchased a home with an existing saltwater pool that is about 27,000 gallons and serviced by a pool company. There is a separate small spa that the pool service company sanitizes with Bromine. The two bodies of water are on completely different systems with separate pumps and filters (both are sand filters). I'm joining this forum to learn more about maintaining both a salt water pool and a bromine spa as I hope to eventually take over servicing my own pool and spa. All of my pumps are the old single speed style (Sta-Rite I believe with Century Motors) and my electrical bill is through the roof. So I am hoping I can upgrade some of these (at least the main pumps for the pool and spa) to variable speed pumps to help reduce the cost. I want to make sure though that I get one that still allows my Aquapure 1400 to produce enough chlorine. Being that I am in Alabama I plan to just keep my pool open all year long and switch to chlorine when the pool water drops to 55 or so.

Ready to learn!!

-SWS