Crazy city code on p-trap

Txjole

Bronze Supporter
Aug 22, 2018
Wylie/TX
Just venting! The city I live in requires a p-trapped line ran from the equipment pad to the city sewer, EVEN with a cartridge filter. City inspector says it just needs to be capped at the pad and not used. That's a 50' run under a fence and a sidewalk to make the tap. From my understanding this is not common.

Nope, never heard of that one. As a matter of fact, the opposite it true - many places prohibit chlorinated water disposal into the city sewer. But, to show how much they don't understand pools - the last place I lived prohibited chlorinated pool water to be disposed of in the sewer, but water from a salt water pool was OK......

I told the PB he was crazy, then I call the city chief inspector. Yep you have to run a line to nowhere. I asked since its not in use can I put a toilet next to my pool filter, he said "yep after your final"

I'm feelin' your pain, but to be fair, the need for codes is not always obvious. In this case, they're covering their butt for the future replacement of your cartridge filter with a sand filter. Or for draining water out of your pool, too, right? Both of which are real future possibilities. You'll probably use that line at some point, or the next owner will. And it'll be nice to have it right at your pad, instead of trying to dig up your sewer clean out, and running a big, obnoxious hose out front.

You know how it works, without that drain line, some people would backwash anywhere, and empty their pool into the gutter (running to the local creek) in the middle of the night, to not get caught. The code is protecting your neighborhood, local waterways, etc.

Just lookin' for the silver lining for ya...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.