Thanks! Just started maintaining my own pool...

We had a "pool guy" walk away from a yellowing pool for two weeks, and still left us an invoice. We fired him, but the pool started turning green. I called a few other companies out to get quotes to turn the green pool blue again, but prices were much higher than they had been (even the last good "pool guy" was reasonable), not to mention just getting us back to balanced. They all wanted to add some kind of equipment upgrade, upping the price. Wife is a good judge of character, and her analysis was "hucksters".

Now I'm a DIY kinda guy, so I figured I'd get it sorted on my own. I knew that the filter needed attention, so I watched some videos and felt confident I could get this done. Walked into Leslie's, bought some DE, and bought into their program to get my pool in order. I know (now) that I spent more than I needed to, but I was on a timeline and they were there and helpful.

So, now the pool is balanced, I've got some equipment coming in the mail; I've made the choice to become the regular "pool guy". I had a feeling the "Leslie's Way" was for the high and mighty, so I went on a search to find the "True DIY Way". Lo and behold, TFP! Thank you!

Just beginning my learning. Browsed the School and book, but my ADD is kicking in and I'm having a hard time remaining focused. I think I'll be able to sort it all out, but if anyone has a recommendation on where to start reading or following step-by-step procedures, or perhaps even reading the book end-to-end, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Russell in California

Welcome! :wave:

The single most important thing you can do to tame your pool is to purchase a proper test kit. You can read the article in pool school and study the chart and pick one that way, or just skip the reading and head to TFTestkits.net for a Tf100. I recommend a speedstir as well. No one who has a speedstir regrets buying it.

Armed with test results, poolmath, and advice from the forums, you'll soon have the pool clearer than you ever thought possible. Winter maintenance will be minimal. During the season, a couple minutes a day, and it will quickly become as mindless and routine as brushing your teeth.

^^^^ What he said!! ^^^^

Test kit. SpeedStir. No joke. Don't buy "something just like it." Just one of the two recommended kits, and the Taylor SpeedStir.

I was completely intimidated by pool care. Tried several pool guys. Tried Leslie's. I finally realized, like everything else, if I wanted it done right, I had to do it myself! TFP was my salvation. It's really quite easy once you get through the learning curve. And that is easy to do as well. What I would recommend is the eBook. You got a way to download and read an eBook? Kindle? Phone app? You go end to end, then you go again, and just follow the instructions. Post questions here about anything you don't get. You'll get an army of people, who have done the exact same thing as you're doing now, to help you get to where they all are now: happy with their pools, taking care of it themselves, and saving tons of money.

You don't likely know that your pool is, in fact, "balanced." It very well may not be. It's quite possible it never has been, even when it looked clear (that is not a definitive test). But if you stick with TFP, you will know your water is balanced, and you'll be able to share your pool with friends and family knowing that they are swimming in healthy water!

Best water, lowest cost. Too good to be true, right? You'll see...

Welcome to TFP!!

...proper test kit
I've ordered the:
TAYLOR TECHNOLOGIES INC K-2006 TEST KIT COMP CHLORINE FAS-DPD
from Amazon. Hope that will serve me well. I believe that was one of the recommended kits?

...balanced...

Yeah...I know I REALLY don't know. I did pick up a cheap test strip kit from OSH so I could avoid going to Leslie's every day. Both the strips and Leslie's say I'm within normal limits (well....Leslie's says I've got high phosphorus, but I understand that's their money maker).

I'll get the ebook (is it epub?). If needed, I can convert to other ebook formats.

Edit to add last numbers from Leslie's:
FAC 4
TAC 5
CH 400
CYA 100
TA 120
pH 7.8
Pho 500

I've ordered the:
TAYLOR TECHNOLOGIES INC K-2006 TEST KIT COMP CHLORINE FAS-DPD
from Amazon. Hope that will serve me well. I believe that was one of the recommended kits?

Yeah...I know I REALLY don't know. I did pick up a cheap test strip kit from OSH so I could avoid going to Leslie's every day. Both the strips and Leslie's say I'm within normal limits (well....Leslie's says I've got high phosphorus, but I understand that's their money maker).

I'll get the ebook (is it epub?). If needed, I can convert to other ebook formats.

If the kit model number does not contain the letter "C" then it is the smaller kit. The "C" kit is the one endorsed here, but the only difference is the size of the reagents. The smaller kit has 3/4oz, and the larger kit has 2oz, so it is a better value and will last at least a season where the smaller kit will not (some reagents will, others no).

I, too, bought the smaller one. I like the smaller box it comes in, and I can fit the included reagents, the additional salt reagents and the SpeedStir, all in that tiny box. You do run out of the original reagents fairly quickly, but I have since bought 2oz reagents, and just refill the smaller bottles. Not necessarily recommending the smaller kit, but I do like mine...

Sorry, don't know if the eBook format is ePub.